Chapter 1 Lazarus Rising

Dean wakes up in a dark place, breathing heavily. He grabs his lighter out of his pocket and turns it on. The lights illuminate a small part of where he is. Dean realises that he's inside a wooden coffin.

'Help! Help! Help!' Dean shouts with a hoarse throat. He pounds on the wood above his head. Dirt rains down on his face but he continues to pound.

In the middle of a grassy field, there is a simple wooden cross planted with some flowers around it. A hand bursts out of the dirt, followed by another. Dean slowly crawls his way out of the ground, groaning and gasping. As he gets out he lies on his back, panting. He stands up and looks around his surroundings in the glaring sunlight. Around him is a perfect circle of dead trees, lying on the ground as if a powerful blast had blown them away. 

Dean walks down an empty road and approaches an abandoned gas station. He pounds on the door.

'Hello?' He asks hoarsely. Dean rolls up his outer shirt over his right hand and breaks the glass on the door. He opens the door and gets inside. He immediately goes for the fridge and grabs a water bottle, which he gulps down. He notices a newspaper close to him and sees the date which reads: Thursday, September 18th. 'September,' Dean goes over towards the dingy sink to wash his face. He looks up and stares at his reflection. He wears a tight black T-shirt. Frowning he pulls the shirt up to expose his chest. Dean stares at his unscarred chest in the dingy gas station mirror. He turns his left shoulder to the mirror, pulls up the sleeve, and sees a large, raw handprint brand.

Dean pulls snacks and energy bars from the shelves, along with several bottles of water, and stashes them into a plastic bag. He stops in front of a magazine stand, he grins slowly at it. On one of the stands is an Adult Magazine "Busty Asian Beauties". He picks it up and flips through it before stuffing it in the bag too. He goes to the counter and sets down the pack. He pushes a single button on the register, snapping his fingers when it pops open. As he's looting the cash, the TV to his left flicks on, showing only static. Dean shuts it off, only to have a radio to his right turn on to white noise. Not wasting a moment, he goes to another shelf and grabs a carton of salt. He opens it and begins to pour it along the windowsill. A high-pitched single tone begins to sing, Dean clutches his left ear in pain as he continues to pour salt with his right hand. As the sounds continue, he drops the salt and crouches to the floor, groaning in agony. The window above his head shatters as the sound continues, and he drops to the floor. He leaps to his feet to try and escape, more glass on the ceiling and walls shatter. Dean looks around cautiously.

Next to the gas station is a phone booth. Dean is inside the booth and dials a number but only hears an alert tone.

'We're sorry. You have reached a number that has been disconnected,' The recorded voice explains. Dean hangs up the pay phone and inserts another coin, before dialling another number. He had another number in his mind but hoped this one would pick up. It rings once, then it is picked up.

'Yeah?' Someone responds.

'Bobby?' Dean asks.

'Yeah?'

'It's me,'

'Who's me?'

'Dean,' A dial tone sounds. Dean hangs up the receiver and dials again.

'Who is this?' Bobby asks.

'Bobby, listen to me,' Dean tries.

'This ain't funny. Call again, and I'll kill you,' The dial tone sounds again. Dean hangs up the phone. He turns around and notices an old, beat-up white car parked outside. His eyes light up. He hotwires the car and pulls away from the gas station.

There is a pounding on the door. Bobby opens the door. On the doorstep is Dean, looking winded and apprehensive. He smiles cautiously. Bobby looks at him suspiciously.