Chapter 3 In The Beginning

Dean and Hermione are asleep in a motel room. Sam pauses for a moment and looks at them before leaving the room. Dean is twisting and turning in his sleep as he's dreaming. In his dreams he hears the sound of screams. He wakes up to find Castiel sitting on his bed.

'Hello, Dean. What were you dreaming about?' Castiel asks.

'What, do you get your freak on by watching other people sleep? What do you want?' Dean whispers not wanting to wake either Hermione or Sam up.

'Listen to me. You have to stop it,'

'Stop what?' Castiel puts two fingers to Dean's forehead.

Dean is asleep on a bench. A police officer walks over towards him.

'Move it buddy—you can't sleep here,' he says to Dean.

Dean wakes up. 'Okay...sleep...where?' He asks, confused.

'Anywhere but here,'

Dean grabs his phone and tries to make a call on his cell, but gets no signal. 'Perfect,' He gets up and enters a close-by dinner called "Jay Bird's diner".

Dean takes a seat at the diner's counter next to a young man.

'Hey, where the hell am I?' He asks the young man.

'Jay Bird's Diner,' the young man responds.

'Yeah, thanks. I mean, uh...city and state,'

'Lawrence, Kansas,'

'Lawrence,'

'Hey, you okay buddy?'

'Yeah, tough night,'

'Hey, uh, coffee here, Reg,'

'Okay, coming right up,' Reg responds.

Dean pulls his cell phone from his pocket. 'Can you tell me where I can get reception on this thing?'

'The USS Enterprise?' The young man responds.

Dean looks at Reg as he brings the coffee over. Reg is dressed in 1970s hippie gear. 'Thanks...nice threads. You know Sonny and Cher broke up, right?'

'Sonny and Cher broke up?' The young man asks. Dean looks around the diner and notices everyone was dressed in 1970s-era clothes. He looks at the newspaper the young man is reading. The headline reads "Nixon accepts resignation of top..." and the date is Monday, April 30, 1973. Dean mouths the words "Seventy three". A man enters the diner.

'Hey, Winchester,' The man says. Dean and the young man look around. The man shakes the hand of the young man. 'Son of a bitch. How are you doing, Corporal?'

'Hey, Mr. D,' The young man responds.

'I heard you were back,'

'Yeah, a little while now,'

Good to have you home, John, damn good,'

'Dad?' Dean mutters.

'Well, say hello to your old man for me,' Mr D says.

'You got it, Mr. D,' John notices Dean staring at him. 'Do we know each other?'

'I guess not,'

John gets up to leave. 'Take it easy, pal,'

Yeah,'

Dean is following John Winchester around. As Dean turns a corner, he bumps into Castiel.

'What is this?' Dean asks.

'What does it look like?'

'Is it real?'

'Very,'

'Okay, so what? Angels got their hands on some DeLoreans? How did I get here?'