Chapter 2 Are You There, God? It's me, Dean Winchester

Sam, Dean, Hermione and Bobby are staying at Bobby's. Bobby is sitting at his desk with a pile of books in front of him. Sam is sitting in a chair in the opposite corner talking to Dean, who is standing. Hermione leans against the desk looking at the boys.

'Well, then tell me what else it could be,' Sam asks Dean.

'Look, all I know is I was not groped by an angel,' Dean responds. Hermione understands where Dean was coming from. She also didn't believe Castiel at first when he had told her he was an angel. 

'Okay, look, Dean. Why do you think this Castiel would lie to you about it?'

'Maybe he's some kind of demon. Demons lie,' Bobby looks up from his books at the boys.

'A demon who's immune to salt rounds and devil's traps...and Ruby's knife? Dean, Lilith is scared of that thing!'

'Don't you think that if angels were real, that some hunter somewhere would have seen one...at some point...ever?'

'Yeah. You just did, Dean,'

'I'm trying to come up with a theory here. Okay? Work with me,' Dean tries.

'Dean, we have a theory,'

'Yeah, one with a little less fairy dust on it, please,'

'Okay, look. I'm not saying we know for sure. I'm just saying that I think we—'

'Okay, okay. That's the point. We don't know for sure, so I'm not gonna believe that this thing is a freaking Angel of the Lord because it says so!'

'Or me,' Hermione mutters under her breath, neither of the boys heard her.

'You two chuckleheads want to keep arguing about religion, or do you want to come take a look at this?' Bobby asks. Sam and Dean walk over towards Bobby's desk. 'I got stacks of lore—Biblical, pre-Biblical. Some of it is in damn cuneiform. It all says an angel can snatch a soul from the pit,'

'What else?' Dean asks.

'What else, what?'

'What else could do it?'

'Airlift your ass out of the hot box? As far as I can tell, nothing,'

'Dean, this is good news,' Sam points out.

'How?'

'Because for once, this isn't just another round of demon crap. I mean, maybe you were saved by one of the good guys, you know?'

'Okay. Say it's true. Say there are angels. Then what? There is a God?'

'At this point, Vegas money is on yeah,' Bobby responds.

'I don't know, guys,'

'Okay, look. I know you're not all choirboy about this stuff, but this is becoming less and less about faith and more and more about proof,'

'Proof?'

'Yes,'

'Proof that there is a God out there that actually gives a crap about me personally? I'm sorry, but I'm not buying it,'

'Why not?' Hermione asks.

'Because why me? If there is a God out there, why would he give a crap about me?'

'Dean—' Sam begins.

'I mean, I've saved some people, okay? I figured that made up for the stealing and the ditching chicks. But why do I deserve to get saved? I'm just a regular guy,'

'Apparently, you're a regular guy that's important to the man upstairs,'

'Well, that creeps me out. I mean, I don't like getting singled out at birthday parties, much less by...God,'