Ch 6 Family

Brad stood in the spare bedroom with his back to the mirror for a few moments, trying to make sense of what he had been through over the last day. While the memories of Brooke's life didn't completely disappear, they did fade into disjointed fragments in the background of his mind and Brad's memories returned to the forefront.

Was it only a day?

He wondered what day it was now. Then he looked down at his skirt and blouse and as the memories of his 'mom' Miranda faded away, he decided he needed to change clothes quickly before his father showed up.

Or was his father home from work already?

Brad stood quietly and listened, trying to see if he heard his dad moving about.

He heard nothing.

Satisfied that his dad wasn't home yet, Brad scurried back to his room and quickly changed clothes. He was shaking as he refolded the things and considered tossing them
out with the trash.

He wasn't sure what had happened, but he was also not sure about wanting it to happen again. He opted to put the clothes back in the box and to hide the box back in the closet.

Unsure of the day or time, he didn't know whether the amount of time on the other side of the mirror was equal to the same amount of time here, or if his return was only a moment after the time he left, Brad headed toward the kitchen to start dinner, assuming, frantically hoping he had returned the same time as he had left.

Passing the extra room, he reached to close the door and saw the mirror start to glow with an electric blue aura. He froze, watching intently as a red bottomed, black Loubotin high heel and hose covered leg came through followed by Miranda's red and black dress. Only it wasn't Miranda.

It was his father, dressed as a woman.

"Dad?!?"

"Yes," Gerald answered. "Well, we're back."

"Wait. So, I'm so confused. Why are you dresse---"

At that moment, the outfit Brad's dad had on caused a memory to materialize in Brad's head. He saw Miranda and began to remember significant details about her, and about him as Brooke.

"Wait! So, Miranda, Brooke's mom, that was you all along?"

"Yes."

"No way."

"Yes way."

Brad began to feel weak and he leaned against the door frame to keep from falling over. His dad grabbed the glass of water off the dresser and handed it to Brad. 

"I know it's a lot to take in. Drink the water and relax. We can talk later."

Brad downed the last of the water and spoke,"Wait, don't go, dad. I want to talk about this."

"Can I change first?"

Brad sat the empty glass back on the dresser and turned around to face the hallway. 

"Go ahead and change while we talk, dad."

Gerald headed towards the dresser to get the box for the clothes he had on. After a moment or two of silence, Brad spoke.

"Well I guess that makes sense." 

"What's that?"

"Well, Miranda did say, 'when we get home.' I didn't understand what she, or well, you meant and I didn't pay it much attention either, but now I get it. Why, though? I don't understand. Where did you find this mirror? How long have you been going through it? And are you the same person every time? Also, what took you so long to return?"

Brad had all kind of questions now, and they were all coming out at once.

"Whoa, slow down. Breathe. One question at a time."

"Sorry,, it's just-"

"First of all, the mirror has rules. I had to go home to the one in my bedroom. Whatever mirror you come out of when you enter the other side, you can only return through that mirror."

"How do you know which mirror you'll enter the otherside from?"

"It depends on the time of day and where your alter would be at that time."

"Alter? Oh, you mean the person you become on the other side."

"Yes, and there are rules for returning, which I had to learn the hard way. The first time I went through I was there for four days before I figured out how to return, or that I even needed  Everything about you has to be the same, clothes, underwear, shoes, accessories. You can't bring anything back with you that you didn't take and you can't leave anything behind," he explained. The mirror has rules. There are exceptions to item transfers, but we'll talk about that later."

"What about the passage of time?" Brad asked.

"It's the same as here. If you spend eight hours there, it will be eight hours later here when you return. Why don't you go sit in the living room and wait for me. I'll answer all your questions. We need to have a long talk."

Brad nodded and left.

Gerald closed the door and began to undress.