it's time ch5

Roger understood his sister's need for time. He wiped away the tears beginningto trickle down his cheek, and tried to compose himself. "I understand. Take all the time you need. I'll be here when you're ready to talk about it. In the meantime, I'm still the same person you knew as your brother, no matter what I look like." He offered her a small, hesitant smile. "However, what are we gonna tell mom and dad?"

His sister sighed heavily, her eyes cast downward. "We have to tell them when they get home. Maybe we should both talk to them together?" She paused for a moment, thinking about how their parents would react. They were always very traditional and conservative. "I'm sure they'll be upset at first, but I think they'll come around. They love us both, after all."

Roger nodded in agreement. "Yeah, I hope so. It's just... do you think they'll ever accept me as their daughter?"

His sister's face softened as she reached over and squeezed his hand. "Of course they will, silly. They may take some time to adjust, but they'll come around. You' said it, yourself, you're still the same person inside, just in a different body, right?"

Roger nodded, sniffling a little. "Yeah, I guess." He wiped his eyes again and took a deep breath. "So, what do you think we should call me? I mean, if I'm a girl now Icant very well continue going by Roger."

His sister thought for a moment, then smiled. "How about... Ellie? You know, short for Eleanor? It's a nice name, and it's sort of like the opposite of Roger. Plus, it's close to your old middle name, Elliot."

"I was thinking Ramona or Rhonda, but yeah, I like that better. Eleanor...El...Ellie...," he repeated, trying it out.

"How about Janet for a middle name?"

"Jane? Ellie Jane?"

As they sat there, discussing names and possibilities for the future, Roger couldn't help but feel a small sense of relief. He knew it was just the beginning of a long and difficult journey, but at least he had someone by his side.

"Hey, Ellie,' Dana spoke.

"Yeah," Ellie replied with a grin upon hearing her sister use her new feminine name.

"Where do you think that mirror came from?"

Ellie shrugged. "I don't know, maybe it was just some old antique that mom and dad picked up at a garage sale or something."

"Maybe, but you said you found this book about it in a trunk on the opposite side of the attic, right?"

"Yeah, that's right," Ellie replied, frowning in thought. "You know, when I picked up the book, the mirror started glowing. I wouldn't have ever put the two together otherwise. Didn't even know there was a mirror on the other side of the attic, covered up with a sheet."

"Interesting,  it's almost like you were chosen. Wow. We will definitely have to ask mom about how we ended up with it."

Just then, Dana heard a car outside. She hopping up off the bed, she gave her sister a look. "It's time. Stay here, I'll think of something."

Dana then headed downstairs to greet their parents, who had just pulled up in the driveway.

The sun was beginning to set, casting a warm glow over the house and the surrounding landscape. The air was crisp and cool, carrying with it the scent of autumn leaves and wood smoke from fireplaces aroundcthe neighborhood. As she stepped outside, she saw her mother stepping out of the car, her hair tied back in a practical bun and her father, covered in grease, following close behind. They both looked tired from their long day at work.

"Hi, honey," her mother said, giving Dana a hug. "How was your day?"

"It was alright, mom." Dana replied, glancing at her father as he walked up beside them. "But um, I have a question.

"Yeah, honey?"

"If you had come home today and found me standing here, but instead of my usual self I was suddenly a boy, would you have treated me any differently?"

"What kind of question is that, sweetheart? Is thi......" He voice trailed off.

"It's about that mirror in the attic."

As Dana spoke she pulled away from her mom and saw the color had drained from her mom's face.

Dana's mom glanced over at her husband, then turned back towards Dana and began to inquire about Roger as she frantically looked towards the front door and rushed inside. "Where's your brother? He hasn't seen the mirror, has he?"

Mom entered the house with Dana right behind her. "He knows about it, mom." Dana explained. "We just wanted to ask you where it ca...."

Dana stopped mid-sentence, almost running into the back of her mom who had unexpectedly stopped in her tracks. That's when Dana realized Ellie was standing in front of them.

"Hi, mom," Ellie smiled nervously, her hands clasped in front of her.

"Oh, gawd. Roger?!?" Mom exclaimed.

"Steve!" Their Mom screamed, calling out to her husband who hadn't yet entered the house.

"Dear, gawd," Steve exclaimed upon entering the living room and seeing a pretty female version of his son standing in front of them. "What the hell?"

Ellie smiled shyly, unsure of how to react to their parents' surprise. "I'm not Roger anymore, mom. I'm Eleanor. You can call me,  Ellie," she offered.

"Oh, gawd," their mother repeated, her eyes welling up with tears. She took a deep breath and reached out to stroke Ellie's hair, tears streaming down her own face. "Oh, honey," she whispered, pulling Ellie into a tight hug. "You're beautiful."

Steve stood there, stunned, not knowing what was thing on our how to react. They all stood there for a long moment, not saying anything.

Their mom eventually pulled back, wiping at her eyes. "Well, I guess we have some explaining to do," she said, looking at Ellie. "You guys have a seat on the couch and let me order pizza for dinner, then we can talk."