[Eight] >< Preliminaries

(A/N (William): While writing my story, I got a random burst of inspiration regarding a scene in this story a few arcs from now, and it reinvigorated me to get past this little lull and get back to the original stuff. I hope you enjoy!)

Izuku, Gon, Leorio, and Kurapika walked through the streets of Dolle, making their way towards the massive tree atop the hill in the distance. The captain had approached Gon after they docked, and told him that was where to go despite there being a bus that supposedly went straight to the examination site. Gon brought this information to the other three, confusing them thoroughly.

It took a moment, but Izuku realized this was supposed to be another miniature test in the examination. Sometimes, the information available isn't entirely accurate, so you have to trust your intuition in accordance with the information you have. He knew the captain was a judge in the examination, therefore his information was more than likely correct over that which everyone had.

Either that, or Izuku was fond of the man, and therefore biased.

So, after a bit of hesitation on Leorio's part, they set off through the city towards the tree. Izuku remained silent, for the most part, simply taking in the sights as they walked. He was in another world. One where quirks didn't exist, yet there was still a renowned profession based around helping people. It only served to remind Izuku that, despite their flaws, human innately wanted to help each other. No matter what planet or universe they called home.

Speaking of home, Izuku was already starting to miss his. One full day had passed since he teleported here, and homesickness was brewing within him. He had been with Zoro, training, for longer, but during that time he was focused on doing something; now, the only the he'd had to do was stare out at the ocean and occasionally input on topics the other three discussed. He didn't quite feel comfortable around them, aside from Gon, so he remained silent most of the time. He did get to learn quite a lot about this world through his new friends, though.

"So, Izuku," Gon said in a hushed tone, falling back beside the young boy. "Did you really try to... hurt yourself?"

Izuku grimaced, reaching down and pulling up one of his pant legs. A long, jagged scar ran across his upper thigh, as the teeth scraped into it a thousand times before the saw found purchase.

Gon didn't know how to feel, looking at the wound. Sad that Izuku would try to end his own life; horrified that he'd chose such a brutal method; angry at the circumstances that made him attempt it in the first place; happy that he didn't go through with it in the end. His life had to have been truly terrible for him to be driven to such a place and chose that way to end it.

In the end, Gon settled on being sad. He didn't yet know what had troubled Izuku to such a degree, but he was now dead-set upon finding out. Izuku was one of his first friends since Kite left; he and some of the other members of the <Greenies Unite!> room reminded him of what a friend was supposed to be. He had no idea how long the Hunter examination would take to complete, but Gon was determined to deepen his bond with Izuku before its end, for both of their sakes.

The group exited Dolle and ventured through the foothills towards the pine tree, all the while Leorio kept making excuses as to why he came along. Gon and Kurapika stared on impassively and silently, while Izuku snickered every time Leorio spoke up. He did notice that they were being followed, though, when he was appreciating the scenery. 'Someone overheard, then,' Izuku realized. He simply shook his head and tapped Gon's arm. He thumbed over his shoulder discreetly, but didn't turn to look, and neither did Gon. He noticed as well, then.

They came upon another city, which reminded Izuku to open his map so he could receive the EXP from his discovered locations.

[You have Discovered:]
> Lake Mobius
>> Misc Islands
>>>Whale Island
>> Kukan'yu Kingdom
>>>Dolle Harbor
>>>Suramagai
+12.5 EXP