8. twenty-five felt like flying

CHAPTER EIGHT

CHAPTER EIGHT.
narrative
caitlin's pov

june 11, 2022: davenport, iowa

I take a deep breath as I head for Liv's car, walking next to her. It's almost three and we'll get there around four. I hadn't seen any of her family members for a long time. I remember her stepfather being super nice and I loved her little sister. Her mother was a different story. Olivia had told me many stories about her (not very good ones) when we were in high school. Nearing the end of our senior year, I always got the vibes that her mother didn't really like me, though she never said it to my face.

"I'm so nervous," I say, rubbing my hands together.

Liv chuckles, "Don't be. They'll be happy to see you, my mom won't be there, though."

That brings some relief considering I don't know how her mother feels about me. I nod at her words as she hooks her phone up to CarPlay, putting on some music. No Judgment by Niall Horan starts playing and I am not surprised. I knew she used to love his music and I see that hasn't changed since the last time I saw her.

"I can change the music if you want me to," Liv says with a smile looking over at me and I shake my head.

"I like it," I tell her as she starts driving. She nods a bit, suppressing her smile a little bit.

It's weird having her around more often, not that it's a bad thing. I'm glad she finally chose Iowa like she wanted to all along. We just haven't seen each other much, not to mention we barely spoke to each other which made the media think we hated each other for two years. I'm glad to have my best friend here again.

"I've missed you, Squirt," I say with a smile on my face as I watch Liv stay focused on the road in front of her. I haven't called her Squirt since senior year, it was a comfort thing for the two of us. Her face scrunches up just a bit as she actually realizes what I said.

"I've missed you too," she says, taking her eyes off of the road for a split second before refocusing. We have said those words all too much the past few days, we really should stop, but I think it's okay for right now. It may start to annoy our friends sooner or later though.

"Does your family know I'm coming?" I ask her with a nervous smile plastered on my face.

She nods, "Yeah, except for Cami. She's going to freak out when she sees you." The mention of Camila made my heart warm. I have thought about Olivia's little sister more often lately. I can't explain it, but she has been in the back of my mind, same with Liv.

It only takes an hour to get there, but we arrive a bit quicker because Liv was going over the speed limit. She pulls up in front of her house and my stomach is practically knots. The nerves have set in big time now. "You ready, Superstar?" she asks me as she puts the car into park, looking over at me.

I take a deep breath and on the release, I look over at her and nod, "As ready as I'll ever be."

The two of us get out of the car, walking toward the door together. I pop my knuckles as Liv opens the door, "Hello, hello!" she calls out. For some reason, it makes me smile. Russell, her stepfather, gets up from his spot on the couch and walks over to us.

"Liv," he says with a smile, hugging his stepdaughter. His eyes land on me and his smile widens just a bit, "It's great to see you, Caitlin," he tells me, opening his arms to hug me.

I wrap my arms around him, "It's good to see you, Mr. Miller," I say, pulling back from the hug. He gives me a look because I know I can call him Russell, he's always allowed that.

It doesn't take but a few moments for us to hear footsteps coming from the staircase, "Dad, who is here?" I hear Camila ask and I can't help but smile from hearing her voice again.

"Well, Mila, why don't you come and see?" Russell says with a smile as Camila makes it to the middle of the staircase, her eyes landing on Liv first then me.

"No way!" She squeals as she runs down the stairs at full speed. To my surprise, she runs for me, "Ninny!" Camila exclaims, wrapping her arms around me as I crouch to her height, picking her up when I get ahold of her.

"Hi, Mila!" I say as she squeezes me.

"Wow, you are never that excited to see me, kiddo!" Liv says with joy as she watches the moment I share with her little sister. The two have always been close and when I came into the picture, Camila opened her heart to me as well.

"I see you all the time, this is my Ninny," she says, her arms around my neck as she looks at her sister.

Liv can't help but laugh, pulling her wallet out to get money for her sister, "You can spend this on anything you want for your birthday," Liv says, passing the money to her sister. Camila's eyes widen a bit, staring at the fifty dollars in her hands now.

"Can we go to Build-A-Bear together?" she asks Liv and I with so much excitement in her eyes. The two of us look at each other then over to Russell who was just as shocked as we were.

"Build-A-Bear?" Liv and I ask in unison and Mila nods.

The girl pushes her bottom lip out, pouting as she looks at Liv and I with puppy dogs eyes. I meet Liv's eyes, trying to resist Mila's. Liv shrugs a bit, "You two will be able to see each other longer," the blonde says.

"Russell, can we take her for the day?" I ask, turning my attention toward Liv's stepdad.

He nods, "I don't see a problem with that. Are you sure that's what you wanna do with your sister and Ninny?" He asks Camila and she nods.

"Yes please!" she exclaims.

I set her down on the ground, "Go get your shoes and we can go," I tell her and she bolts up the stairs.

Liv looks at Russell, "Do you know when Mom is coming home?" she asks, wringing her hands out a bit.

"Later tonight, at least seven or eight," Russell informs her and Liv just nods.

"We'll have her home by six thirty," I say with a smile.

Russell nods, "There's no rush."

Camila comes rushing down the stairs, coming back over to us. She hugs her sister finally before hugging her father and telling him bye.

authors note
i love them sm