Chapter 7(a): Pinocchio Virus.

***

"My mom and dad were good people, but I still didn't like the lies they sometimes told," said Gen, leaning slowly against the back seat. He feels unfair with the lies his parents used to practice.

Inspector Suro and Bella are listening carefully. They've been hearing the sad story about Tanglo all the time. Occasionally, Bella looked up to the ceiling, or wiped her hands down her eyes less clearly. Must be holding back the tears or falling. It would be a shame for her to cry after hearing the story of a suspect, who she had recently shot him with a gun, almost.

"What kind of lie do you mean?" asked the Inspector, intrigued. He felt strongly about the statement of Gen, and there was no lie in the parents of his, a good figure he could have deduced from Gen's story to this time.

"They've been lying to me since childhood," he added with a complaining face. "All my plans to test a child's brave adrenaline are failed. Sky diving, diving into the ocean bed, cruising in the Amazon, and things as if they'd never granted them.." Gen placed both handrails on the table, uttering it seriously. So serious about calculating the losses that have been caused by a lie, as if he were counting out the details of a major corporation's losses when the product failed, and then he was deeply in debt.

The elegant pen on the Inspector's finger suddenly fell down to the table, along with his utter amazement. Even his face was as clear as if he had just woken up from a severe sleepiness.

The wide-eyed Bella now threw away her sympathy at the man in front of her. She was horrified and thought to herself, 'He needs no sympathy at all, only a beating on the head, to lessen his deafness."

"They always say, 'A few days later', but it's a repetitive promise, the promise that they can easily update," added Gen.

"Therefore," said Gen, exclaiming, standing out of his seat. "I do such fun things by myself. You know, on my day off from elementary school I went alone to the Mount Semeru outside the city, a mountain about 1,700 feet [3600 m] high, when I was nine years old."

The two police officers are still listening, Gen may feel that they are concerned about the safety of the 9-year Gen. "Don't worry..!" he said.

The female police officer in front of him smirked, maybe she thought, 'Why should we worry?!'

"Long time before that I was familiar with the strange power that were inside me, Tanglo. I had it under my control," he added. "After a few hundred yards I'm hiking in the dark, I'm so tired. I took my wings out of my back. So that in a few minutes I was at the top of that mountain at its 3600 meters above water face."

"How a Crafty!" Bella said quietly, inaudible to Gen.

"I did so that I would no longer have to make my parents lie. You know, I really hate lies. It will only bring you misfortune, it will only bring you doom."

Bella now is in a little mise--by not ruling out the quirkiness and the speech of Gen--that she could not grasp this man's point with the logic of normal people it seemed to her. What strange people mean has to be understood by yet strange logic, by strange even seldom thought of foreign metaphors, and by this they may be well understood in their conduct.

The enormous and tremendous curiosity of Gen suppressed by the limits upon which his parents built. 'Let me do this alone.'

Crazy things--extreme, according to kids his age--, he tried almost everything. He even tests the own availability of oxygen in the sky. After being briefed by a science teacher at the time, he went up to the roof, made some sort of high-altitude measurement clock and oxygen levels, and then quickly pushed himself into the air. To the high sky. Without anyone knowing it.