2 | Take me with you

"Secret backdoor? Skylight? Anything?"

Natasha hung her head and shook it, leaning on the table in the center of the meeting room.

"We've gone through the layout seven times. Nothing's changed," she repeated irritably.

The glowing 3D hologram of a concrete facility hovered over the center of the table, illuminating the darkness with a faint blue. Nat flicked her wrist and spun the image, gesturing to a small red square along one of the facility's walls.

"Only way in is through a vent on the outside."

Some of the team stood and others sat slumped in chairs while Tony stubbornly searched for another non-existent entry point. The other heroes were getting sick of him making this more complicated than it needed to be.

"Only one of us could fit in there," Clint reminded, purposefully implying you.

Tony gave him an incredulous look. "How many more times? No."

"Come on, the kid's been training for months-"

"She's not ready."

"She's the only one who could get the job done," Sam chimed in.

"And she is more than capable of doing it," Wanda agreed.

"I said no!"

Before they could debate any further the door burst open and filled the room with light, obscuring the 3D display that was best seen in the dark. When you reached the table your face was illuminated by the hologram. Behind you trailed Steve, who shut the door behind him, once again darkening the room.

Tony threw his hands up. "Oh, for the love of- really, Steve?"

"I can do it," you said without preamble. "I can use my gecko form."

Again Tony gave Steve a disapproving look. "Told her everything, did you? Since when did the word 'no' lose its meaning around here?"

"I'm volunteering to do this," you argued.

"Easy, Katniss Everdeen. You're not volunteering shit."

"Tony." Nat's usually stern face softened a little. "At some point there's gotta be a first mission."

Tony bit back a retort. All eyes were on him. Eventually he made a 'give me a second' gesture and ushered you away from the group. He stood close for privacy and spoke before you could.

"Y/n, this is a Hydra base shut-down mission."

The whispered words made you pause. Tony, along with everyone else, knew your story. The part Hydra had played in it. The reason you were what you were. But that wasn't going to stop you.

"All the more reason for me to go," you said.

Tony's eyes disagreed. "I'm serious."

"So am I."

You went back over to the table where the others stood waiting. "Just tell me what I would do. Hypothetically."

You heard a sigh behind you, and you felt a rush of victory as Tony came to stand next to you.

"Fine. If you were to do this - hypothetically - you'd go in through the vents, use this USB to bypass the security system in the control room-" Tony held up a small USB-stick in his hand, "-then get out."

You waited to hear more, then frowned. "That's it?"

Tony nodded dismissively. "That's it."

You wanted to argue that you could do more, but you figured you shouldn't push your luck.