Chapter Eighteen

Two months later

By now, only Polly and My mother know about the engagement. Polly and I both agreed Thomas didn't need our wedding right in the middle of business, so we decided to wait. I didn't have a problem waiting.

John's been having dinner at my house at least twice a week. He comes for the Italian dishes. He likes the food. He likes my brothers. Andrew is his favorite.

I had promised grace a month and a half ago that I would have lunch with her. Given that I almost died about five different times, I missed it. She was kind enough to reschedule.

"Hi!" I said happily as I hugged her. She smiled and put her arms around me in return before sitting across from me in the booth. Her hair was always so perfect. It's like it naturally stayed perfectly wavy. Mine on the other hand was pin straight and thick.

"You and Tommy finally confess your feelings for eachother?" I asked while sipping on my tea. Grace's eyes widened a bit before she laughed it off.

"He danced with me at one of the races. He also kissed me." She said the last part quietly. I laughed a little bit. It was funny, imagining Tommy having a lover.

"Everything's always about Tommy. You and John obviously have something going on." She sipped her tea, looking around the room, then looking back at me.

"You can't tell anyone," I told her. She nodded.

"If you don't tell about Tommy," she retorted. I nodded.

"Engaged. He asked me a couple months ago, but we decided to hold the announcement until everything cooled down." I flipped the fold band on my ring over so she could see the small rubies and diamonds on it. They were engraved into the band, nothing fancy.

We were both brought out of our traces when we heard yelling in the street. It was one of the cooks.

"Wash it yourself, putz!" The man yelled. For some reason, I felt like that voice was something recognizable. "I retire!"

Grace and I looked back at each other, furrowing our eyebrows. He then heard some clanks of pots and pans, making us both laugh a little bit.

"Anyways, my mother will want to have a big Italian wedding like she did. It'll be a whole thing. I was hoping you could help me with it." I told her. I swear I've never seen her smile so proudly.

"What about John Aunt, or his sister?" She asked, running her thumb over the brim of her cup.

"Yeah, they'll help too. You were just the first person who came to my mind, ya know, since you've helped me out so much." She nodded at my statement. I've known her for over a year, and she was the only one who understood half my problems.

"You're so lucky. At 20 years old, I wouldn't have dreamed of getting married." She told me while finishing off her biscuit. I smiled.

We were just about to finish up the conversation when I felt a pair of hands on my shoulders. I honestly thought it was John for a minute, but why the hell would he be here? I turned around and was stunned at what I saw. I saw the 6 foot Italian man.

"Oh my god," I got out of the booth and hugged him around the neck. He laughed a little bit before swinging me around off my feet. He kissed the crook of my neck with a smile, his hands still holding onto my shoulders.

"I got your letter, sweetheart," he told me, that thick Italian accent going into my ears. Its funny because my accent is a mix of Italian and Australian.

Grace tapped me on the shoulder once I pulled away from my dad, saying she was going to go. I pulled her back to introduce her.

"Dad, this is Grace, Grace, this is my father I've told you about." I said, smiling like an absolute idiot. She shook his hand with a small smile, thanking me for introducing her. She gave me a small smile as she left. I just turned back around and hugged my father.