2

Chapter 2: Family Matters

Evelyn stood outside Alexander's hospital room, her heart pounding with anticipation. The news of his accident had reached his family, and they were en route to the hospital. As the primary doctor overseeing his care, Evelyn knew she would have to face his concerned and influential loved ones.

Moments later, the hospital's grand entrance doors swung open, revealing a distinguished couple accompanied by their entourage. Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair, Alexander's parents, exuded an air of authority and sophistication. Evelyn composed herself and approached them with a professional smile.

"Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair, I'm Dr. Evelyn Grant," she greeted them, extending her hand. "I've been overseeing Alexander's treatment since his arrival."

Mrs. Sinclair's eyes filled with worry, and her voice quivered. "How is our son? Is he going to be alright?"

Evelyn led them to a private consultation room, ensuring their conversation would remain confidential. She gave them a brief rundown of Alexander's condition, explaining the extent of his injuries and the medical procedures he had undergone so far.

"He's stable, but it will be a long road to recovery," Evelyn said, her tone empathetic yet firm. "We're monitoring him closely and providing the best possible care. It's crucial that he receives ample rest and avoids any undue stress."

Mr. Sinclair's brow furrowed. "What about his memory? Will he remember us, his family?"

Evelyn hesitated for a moment, contemplating her response. She knew the truth—the uncertainty surrounding Alexander's memory and his mistaken belief that she was his girlfriend. However, she also understood the importance of maintaining the charade for the sake of his well-being.

"I must be honest with you," Evelyn began, her voice steady. "Alexander is currently experiencing a form of amnesia. He doesn't remember his life before the accident, including his relationship with you as his family."

Mrs. Sinclair gasped, her hand covering her mouth. "Oh, my poor boy. How could this happen?"

Evelyn took a deep breath, collecting her thoughts. "The brain is a complex organ, and memory loss can occur after a traumatic event like the one Alexander experienced. It's not uncommon, and we'll continue to monitor his progress."

Mr. Sinclair's expression hardened as he leaned forward, his voice stern. "Dr. Grant, we expect the best care for our son. We've been long-time supporters of this hospital, and we will not tolerate any negligence or compromise in his treatment."

Evelyn met his gaze with determination. "Rest assured, Mr. Sinclair, we are committed to providing the best care possible for Alexander. He is in good hands."

The door swung open, and Dr. Peterson, the head of the hospital, entered the room. His presence commanded respect, and Evelyn knew he carried significant influence.

"Ah, Mr. and Mrs. Sinclair, Dr. Grant," Dr. Peterson greeted them warmly. "I heard you were here. How is our esteemed donor doing?"

Evelyn glanced at Dr. Peterson, a mix of apprehension and resolve in her eyes. She knew he held the power to sway the situation one way or another.

"Dr. Peterson, I believe it's essential to address the situation regarding Alexander's memory," Evelyn began, her voice firm. "While he believes I am his girlfriend, I feel it is my duty to inform his family of the truth."

Dr. Peterson's gaze shifted from Evelyn to the Sinclairs, his expression thoughtful. After a moment's pause, he sighed and nodded. "I understand your concerns, Dr. Grant. However, I must emphasize the importance of Alexander's emotional well-being during his recovery. If playing

along with his amnesia provides a sense of stability and comfort, perhaps it's in his best interest, at least for now."

Evelyn's frustration and ethical dilemma intensified, but she held her ground. "I respectfully disagree, Dr. Peterson. Keeping up this charade may complicate matters further and could have consequences for both Alexander's mental health and our professional integrity."

Mrs. Sinclair, her eyes brimming with tears, pleaded with Evelyn. "Please, Dr. Grant, if there's even a chance that playing along can help our son, we implore you to consider it."