11

Chapter 11: A Deceptive Dinner

The scent of a home-cooked meal filled the air as Evelyn entered Alexander's family estate. It was the weekly family dinner, a tradition that had become an integral part of their lives, despite the charade that Evelyn was his girlfriend. She plastered on a smile, determined to play her part convincingly.

As she stepped into the grand dining room, Alexander's family gathered around the table, their expressions a mix of curiosity and warmth. Mrs. Sinclair, his mother, approached Evelyn with open arms, embracing her in a heartfelt hug.

"Evelyn, my dear, it's so wonderful to see you," Mrs. Sinclair beamed, her eyes filled with gratitude. "I can't express how grateful we are for all you've done for Alexander. You've been a ray of light in his life during this difficult time."

Evelyn returned the embrace, her voice filled with sincerity. "Thank you, Mrs. Sinclair. It's been my privilege to care for Alexander. He's made tremendous progress, and I'm hopeful for his continued recovery."

As they took their seats at the dinner table, the conversation flowed, filled with laughter and familial warmth. Evelyn couldn't help but notice the longing in Alexander's eyes as he stole glances at her, his desire for their relationship evident even in this private setting.

After dinner, as the family gathered in the living room, Evelyn found herself alone with Alexander's father, Mr. Sinclair. A sense of vulnerability washed over him as he spoke in hushed tones.

"Evelyn, I want you to know how much Alexander admires you," Mr. Sinclair whispered, his voice laden with emotion. "He speaks of you often, of how much you mean to him. I've never seen him so taken by someone before."

Evelyn's heart ached as she listened to Mr. Sinclair's words. She realized the depth of Alexander's feelings and the profound impact their charade had on him. She chose her words carefully, trying to balance the truth with the need to maintain their facade.

"Mr. Sinclair, I care deeply for Alexander as well," Evelyn responded softly, her voice filled with a mix of compassion and sadness. "His well-being is my utmost priority, and I will continue to support him in his recovery."

Mr. Sinclair nodded, a hint of understanding in his eyes. "Thank you, Evelyn. Your presence in his life has brought him hope and joy during these challenging times. We are grateful to have you by his side."

As the evening drew to a close, Evelyn couldn't shake off the heaviness that settled in her heart. The words exchanged between Mr. Sinclair and herself were a stark reminder of the emotional turmoil Alexander experienced, unaware of the truth that lay beneath their fabricated relationship.