•Chapter: 5•

The awkward car ride

------------------------------------------------------------------
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.

I sat in the car next to my 'father', my fists clenched in my lap. This was the first time I had ever met him, and I was already angry. I had just been picked up from the orphanage leaving everyone and everything behind. My friends, the people who worked there. But let's be honest, he is hopefully and most likely gonna send me back after a week at most.

Everyone does.

My so-called 'father' had finally come forward to claim me. But that didn't matter. He still abandoned me and I will keep my promise of never forgiving him for what he did and how he made me feel so...

-worthless?

-stupid?

-will you ever shut up!?

-hmm, no!

*sigh

The car was black and shiny, and I could tell it was really expensive. My father was wearing a designer suit, and I could see the glint of a Rolex on his wrist. My teeth clenched, he was out here living the life, meanwhile, I have been suffering for five years straight because he decided didn't want me. Well until now.

I tried to keep my anger in check, but it was extremely hard.

"So, what do you do for a living?" I asked, my voice dripping with sarcasm as I tried to keep myself from rolling my eyes.

My father glanced at me, his eyes cold and distant. "I work in finance," he said shortly.

I tried to keep the conversation going, but my father was unresponsive. I could feel the anger building up inside me, and I turned to look out the window in an attempt to distract myself from the current "situation" happening in the car.

I thought about Eric, and how much I would miss him. He had always been there for me, even when things were tough, and I did the same for him. I wished he was here now, to help me through this.

-he probably doesn't care about you

-holy shit! Just shut up!

As we drove, I felt a sense of dread building up inside me. Why suddenly now? He could have taken me in right after the accident happened but he came, not one but five years later! I don't see him as a dad, but there surely must have been a reason for all this. That he even bothered to actually come. Right?

Finally, I couldn't take it anymore. I turned to my 'father' and asked, "Do you even want me here? Do you care about me at all?"

My father didn't say anything for a long time, and I could feel the anger boiling inside me. Finally, he spoke.

"I know I haven't been there for you, and I'm sorry. But I want you to know that I do care about you, Jacob. You're my son, and I want to make things right." he said not making eye contact with me at all.

I felt a flicker of hope in my heart, but I didn't believe him. I knew that he was hiding something from me, and I wasn't sure if I wanted to find out what it was.

I have had this nagging feeling that he has been lying to me during our whole conversation. He didn't say much but he answered that question about his job to unspecific and quickly to NOT be hiding something.

As we drove, my father stayed silent. I tried to talk to him for a bit longer, but he wouldn't respond to anything I asked, like he completely shutdown. I could feel the anger building up inside me once more, and I knew that I needed to get out of the car. Immediately. But there was no way out.

I can't just open the door and make a run for it, can I? Nope, I'll just break my legs and that would just make this whole situation more complicated and ten times worse than it already is. I hate this. I need to get back to the orphanage.

I thought for a while before it clicked. I'll just be as annoying as possible and they will take me back, guaranteed!

I'm a genius!

How, you might be wondering? I'm gonna be honest, I didn't think that far.

What would make them want to send me back? If I stole something? No, that would just ruin my reputation, plus I probably wouldn't have the guts to do it, in all honesty. What if I just act like a spoiled brat? That would surely work, right?

Well, I didn't have much time to think about it because the car just stopped. We were at our end destination.

The house was pretty big and luxurious. I tried not to show how impressed I was but deep inside, I was stunned, I had never been to a house this big before. It wasn't SUPER big like a castle but it was still a pretty damn cool house. But I will not let there money fool me.

I'll be leaving soon anyways.

I take a deep breath and push the car door open standing up and straightening my posture

"Home sweet home I guess.?"
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
.
------------------------------------------------------------------

Hello friends!

Hope you enjoyed this chapter and what do you think Jacob will do? I don't know for sure yet so it would really help me out if you came up with some suggestions!🤍

Make sure to eat or drink something, and if you're reading this in the middle of the night. Go to sleep!

(Sorry for any spelling mistakes)