Chapter 25: Respectful Matches

"Next contestants, Kanao and Bodoro

"Next contestants, Kanao and Bodoro. Whoever loses shall take on Hanzo in the next round."

Everyone looked up to see the young girl walking towards the center of the room with an expression of calmness. On the other hand, the old man simply sighed.

"These judges really are cruel aren't they?" he muttered, "Girl, you aren't planning to give up now are you? I'm not like that ninja over there, I would rather not get my hands dirty this far in the game."

Kanao didn't respond, instead only giving him a small smile.

"Hah.. seriously," Bodoro said as he shook his head, "I don't fight children. Ref, I surrender."

Many gasps were heard in the room, the old man had just given up, just like that? Even Kanao seemed surprised.

"Are you sure?" Kanao replied softly, "You may not win this exam if you do."

The old man simply gave her a small smile, "You have many years ahead of you, young one. Enjoy your life, try new things, and fall in love. That's what this old man asks of you."

Kanao's lips parted as something flickered within her.

"It's the heart that drives people!"

"I was going to keep tossing it over and over again until it landed on heads!"

With a slight shine in her eye, she gave a respectful bow to her opponent and silently thanked him with her smile. It seemed that not all battles needed to end in bloodshed, and it seemed to be a nice breather from the first battle between Gon and Hanzo. Though, that didn't mean the next battle would be the same.

"Alright, we have our next contestants, Kurapika and Genya!"

The blonde walked slowly up to the stage, his hands in position to fight. Genya did the same, choosing not to use the guns loaded in his pockets. He had respect for his opponent and did not feel the need to use another weapon, especially against a human. It was going to be a plain battle of strength and agility.

"Go!"

Suddenly the two bolted at one another, with Kurapika aiming for the first punch. Genya dodged swiftly, attempting to land another in return. Luckily for Genya, since he did not have the talent in using swords, he honed his own body to the state it was today. Under Gyomei's supervision he was able to push a boulder ten times heavier than he was across the forest floor.

That didn't mean his opponent was any less ready though. Kurapika, with a heart burning with hatred towards those he vowed to get revenge upon, he was not ready to give up anytime soon. He was trying to get Genya off guard, throwing several punches in succession towards him while analyzing his reaction pattern.

Something that confused the blonde was the way that Genya was breathing. It wasn't the normal panting that one would normally be exhaling during a strenuous battle. It was almost as though his opponent was controlling his breath in a non-tiring way that allowed for him to keep his stamina high.