Chapter 29: So Butter-Fly

Mitsuri watched the scene with eyes wide, noticing how everyone else began to step away from the scene

Mitsuri watched the scene with eyes wide, noticing how everyone else began to step away from the scene. There she stood in all her glory, her bangs swaying in the breeze from the open doors as her lavender eyes pierced into her opponent's.

 There she stood in all her glory, her bangs swaying in the breeze from the open doors as her lavender eyes pierced into her opponent's

"Shinobu!" Mitsuri gasped, her hands covering her mouth, "Is it really you?!"

The female quickly turned her head, her eyes wide as well. She also had a vein showing on her temple as her grip on the male's collar loosened, his body dropping to the floor as she did so.

"Mitsuri?" she said, her voice as feathery as ever, "What are you doing here?"

The pink-haired female quickly scurried over, looking at the male who lay unconscious and rather beat up below the purple haired woman.

"Y-you," she fumbled, "I'm so glad to see you! Who and what happened!? Who is he?"

The smile on Shinobu's face quickly became strained as she gave her a close-eyed smile, "Ara~ him? Don't worry about it, he and I were just getting to know each other."

"G-getting to know each other?" Mitsuri sweatdropped, "By.. doing that to his face?"

"Well, he proposed a battle of strengths. I couldn't stand by and let him have his way could I?" The Insect Hashira gracefully stepped over his body, her smile not leaving her, "he said the weak couldn't compete here.. so I proved his point."

Despite her smile, Mitsuri couldn't help but feel the chills as she listened to her fellow friend.

"Excuse me," another feminine voice said, "If you're here to fight, you must sign up here."

Shinobu turned to the voice as the pair was met with a woman with short brown hair wearing the heaven's arena outfit. She hummed in response, signing her name onto the sheet as the brown-haired lady smiled in approval.

"You're signing up to fight here?" Mitsuri asked, curiously.

Her purple-haired friend nodded in response, "Yes, I assume you figured out how this world works haven't you?"

As the two walked to the lounging area, Mitsuri began to ponder about the recent events she had experienced upon waking up here.

"There was something about Hunters and the Hunter Exam," she muttered in response, "and supposedly I was supposed to be an examiner? Do you know what that means, Shinobu?"

Shinobu hummed to herself, putting the slip with her fight time into her pocket.

"From the information I've gathered, we both seem to be qualified 'Hunters.' Which in this world must mean we have greater superiority and power over the average individual," she explained, "Though I'm not sure how or why we're here, there hasn't been any person who has even heard of demons. Which has led me to believe we are no longer in the world or place we used to call our home."

Mitsuri's eyes widened in shock, her hands covering her mouth.

"Y-you're serious?! Really?!" she gasped, covering her mouth when she noticed the passerbys looking at her weirdly.

Shinobu nodded, her smile becoming strained once again.

"When I came to, I was left with a slip detailing that I had to earn money at Heaven's Arena."

The pink-haired girl gasped once more, "I also got a slip!"

She showed her friend the slip detailing that she was to be the examiner for the 287th Hunter Exam. Shinobu's eyes narrowed as she read the contents, taking out the slip she had received.

Shinobu Kocho needs a means of income before becoming a Doctor. Recommended to fight in Heaven's Arena to make profit.

"I naturally did not want to fight other humans if I didn't need to," she said softly, "but it seems finding a job that makes enough money is quite difficult. I even tried using my Hunter Badge to get money from the machine called the ATM."

Mitsuri's head tilted, "ATM? What's that?"

"Something that gives you money when you put your badge of identification in," she answered, "Weirdly enough, my balance was zero. Absolutely empty."

The two sat in silence before Shinobu finally spoke again, "I think you should try to figure out how to get to the Hunter Exam. Maybe you'll be able to find some clues there."

"Eh? I mean I don't have a problem with that," the pinkette mumbled, "But we'd end up separating! I haven't seen anyone else yet, you're the first one!"

Shinobu gave her a wry smile, "I know but I think it would be best to follow these slips. After all, following it to Heaven's Arena helped me find you. I'm sure we'll be able to find the others who were a part of the fight."

"You really think so?" Mitsuri sighed, putting her finger against her lip, "Alright! I will be back before you know it!"

The purplette nodded with a smile, "I'll wait here for news. Maybe by then I'll have a stable room for us to stay in~"

"Wah! One with a working shower and soft beds?!" she jumped with an expression of awe.

Shinobu giggled in return, handing her a mysterious-looking block.

"Here's what this world calls a 'phone,' it's absolutely perfect for quick communication and works like our crow system."

"A phone?" Mitsuri repeated, taking a good look at the contraption in her hand.

After a few minutes of explaining, the two agreed to set off on their opposite paths.

"Sayonara!~"

The Insect Hashira watched her friend walk through the city streets, until her figure disappeared beyond the horizon. Then she too walked away into the blaring lights and cheers of the Heaven's Arena, where her match against her first opponent would begin.

"Let's do our best, shall we?"