Chapter 4 - "Just who you really are?"

Dahyun's POV

Sora and I returned to her cabin to eat after being fed by a series of disasters. I couldn't get the name she had called me earlier today out of my head.

"What's the matter, princess? You seem so silent," the lady inquired, causing me to restore my composure.

"It's nothing, Sora; perhaps I'm simply famished," I replied. Hopefully, that is indeed the situation.

"Well, you're in for a treat today, because I'm going to make the first dish I've learned how to make: vegetable curry."

Once more, vegetables? Since I infiltrated her woodland, Sora had never made a single meat meal.

"Are you a vegetarian or something? How come you never cook anything with meat?" I enquired of Sora.

"I'm not exactly a vegetarian, at least not when it comes to animal meat I can get in the forest; I don't want to kill any of the creatures here just to satisfy my hunger," the guardian replied.

I suppose she has a valid point. She is a forest guardian, not a hunter, and she is here to protect the creatures.

"How about in the village? Presumably you might exchange forest products for meat there as well right?"

"I'm afraid not, princess; I could trade for products and services, but meats aren't permitted to be traded given that they cost more than what I could give," she remarked.

"So you haven't consumed meat since you became the forest's guardian?"

"Precisely," Sora said, looking at me with a dead and expressionless face.

Then there was stillness. To my amazement, it was no awkward silence.

I've realized that Sora and I just had a talk in which she opened up to me regarding an issue personal to her. I grinned at the concept and turned to face her.

Sora must have noticed my glance because she remarked, "Something on your mind yet again, princess?"

"I just realized you told me about your food preferences; that's something about you," I stated.

Sora sighed, as if I'd said something ludicrous "I refuse to say anything about myself, yes, but only I would speak if it's not too important. Food preferences are included, but my personal life is something I am reluctant to share with you."

"Nonetheless, that's a step closer to me getting acquainted with you."

"Whatever you want to say, princess."

---

When Sora and I got back at her cabin, she told me to wait inside while she prepared the food for us, but I insisted on watching her cook.

"Hopefully, you're certain of it. This seems to be a job that a princess isn't obligated to do," Sora scoffs.

"As far as you know, remaining outside the kingdom is equivalent to not having a royal title; after all, what do you consider me? A child?"

"In all honesty, you appear to be one."

Sora's response made me roll my eyes. Despite the fact that I am a young adult, my father regards me as one. And now Sora?

"I apologies I haven't been paying attention to my duties as a royal, and I don't see how I ought to take accountability if my older sibling will inherit the throne before me."