dancing in the rain

"Luke?" you said loudly from the living room. Luke was in the kitchen, cleaning, and you had to talk to him.

"Yes, love? What is it?" he asked gently, making his way out into the living room.

"We're going to have to cancel our park date, it's raining..." you said, a slight sadness edging it's way into your voice.

You and Luke had been planning this date for days now. You were to take Petunia to the park and have a small picnic. You were planning on staying out to watch the sun set and the stars rise. Obviously, seeing it was raining, that was no longer possible.

"Hm," he said. By the look on his face you could tell he was deep in thought.

"What is it?" you questioned. He just shook his head, and headed back out into the kitchen.

A little while later, you were folding some laundry in your laundry room when you heard your phone let out a small ding. You looked, and you had gotten a text from Luke. A confused look passed across your face as you opened it.

Luke
come out to the back porch, i did something x

You read the text, letting out a small chuckle to yourself. What on earth could he have done? You made your way through the house and to the back porch.

You opened the door and there on the steps sat Luke. Next to him sat Petunia, as well as the picnic basket you had packed earlier in the evening. You could hear in the background, playing softly, the playlist the two of you had made together. Your playlist of love songs. You smiled warmly at him, and sat down.

"What's all this for?" you asked him.

"Well, you were really excited about our date we had planned. And you seemed upset when you saw it was raining. So, I thought this idea was better than rescheduling it..." he trailed off.

You two sat together and ate your picnic you had packed. You made easy conversation with one another, talking about whatever came to mind. You had sandwiches and all kinds of little snacks. As you ate you watched the rain fall to the ground, and listened to the music playing behind you.

After you had finished eating, you and Luke sat on the steps, half-cuddling as you watched the rain. It was falling down as steady as ever, when suddenly Luke began to stir. He stood up and grabbed your hand.

"Babe, what're you doing?" you laughed softly as he began to pull you out into the rain. You felt the droplets of cool water drip all over you—on your face, through your hair, even into your clothes.

"Come dance with me," he beamed at you, his cheeks a light pink hue as the water dripped down onto your face. You beamed back at him and followed his lead.

He led you into the middle of the yard, completely uncovered from the rain. You could still hear the music playing in the background, and you recognized the song. It was Heaven's Gate by Fall Out Boy, one of your favorite songs to slow dance to.

Luke held you close to him as the rain dripped down onto the both of you. His hands were rested on your waist, and yours around his shoulders. You swayed back and forth to the melody of the song. You leaned your head against his chest as he rested his chin on the top of your dripping-wet hair.

You were both soaking wet, but you didn't care. Nothing else in the world mattered to you two. Just that you were both there, with eachother, dancing softly to your favorite love song.

You both stayed like that for a while, even after the song had ended and switched to others. The only thing that had snapped you both away from your sweet moment was the faint flash of light in the sky, followed by a loud crash.

You both jumped at the sudden sound of thunder, before laughing about it. He gave you one last tight squeeze paired with a gentle kiss on your forehead before you both headed inside.

You cleaned up the small mess from your mini-picnic and grabbed your speaker before heading in, turning the speaker off. You had already let Petunia in after you'd finished eating, and you found her laying on the couch taking a nap. You laughed at the sight of her sprawled out on the furniture, completely oblivious to the storm outside.

Deciding that it was getting quite late and that you were both rather cold from your soaked-through clothes, you both went upstairs and dried off before you changed into pajamas. You both got ready for sleep before crawling under the sheets together. You cuddled together closely, Petunia joining you. You lied there in warm, comfortable silence before you drift off to sleep.