The Date

"Wow. You look beautiful," Zander said, looking her up and down as he walked up to her and kissed her cheek.

"Thank you," she told him with a shy smile, taking his hand that he was holding out to her. Holding his hand made her heart rate pick up and she smiled as he led her over to a motorcycle and picked up a helmet and held it out.

"Oh," she said, taking a deep breath. "This is yours?"

"Yeah. Have you ever ridden on a motorcycle before?"

"No my Dad wouldn't let me. He says they're too dangerous."

Zander looked back and forth around him. "Well I don't see your Dad here," he said with a devilish grin, continuing to hold out the helmet to her.

She took it from him hesitantly and put it on her head and then he reached out and clipped it under her chin before putting on his own helmet and flipping his leg over the bike to get onto it.

"Hop on," he said and she slowly walked over and flipped her leg over and sat down behind him. She was too embarrassed to tell him she was scared but the way she was shaking was a dead giveaway.

"Wrap your arms around my waist and hold on," he said, so she scooted closer to him and wrapped her arms around his waist, feeling his tight stomach underneath her hands.

Now she really wished she hadn't worn a dress. Of course the one time she does, something like this happens. She tried to tuck it underneath of her the best she could.

He started the motorcycle up with a rumble and she could feel the vibration of the engine under her as he started slowly walking it backwards and then he gave it some gas as they headed out of the parking lot.

She could feel the warm air whipping against her face and the sun was starting to set as he drove along the coastline. He finally pulled the bike up to a deserted beach and killed the engine, taking his helmet off.

"I thought we could go for a walk here," he told her as they both got off the bike.

The last glow of the sun disappeared under the horizon, meaning it would be dark soon. They both slipped off their shoes and he took her hand as they walked, feeling the squishysand between their toes as they started walking along the deserted beach.

"So how old are you Zander?"

"I just turned 20. How old are you?" he questioned her back.

"I'm eighteen. I'll be 19 soon though. So how did you end young age?" up in the Coast Guard at such a young age?

"I'm in a program called the College Student Pre-Commissioning Initiative. It's a scholarship program for the Coast Guard that's really hard to get accepted into. I completed my basic training summer of last year and received full funding for up to two years of college. They pay my tuition, books, and fees, a full-time Coast Guard salary, housing allowance, and medical benefits."

"Oh so you're in college?"

"Yeah. This is my second year at Boston University."

"Is it hard to balance going to school and being in the Coast Guard?" she asked.

"No it's not that bad actually. During the school semester I only have to do four hours of training a week where I'm on call forrescues if they need me, I have to wear my Coast Guard uniform once a week on campus and work rescue missions during school breaks. Not a bad trade off for free college. I still can't believe they chose me, but I'm really glad they did."

"Good for you. That's amazing. Siddharth and I are both actually going to Boston University too. We're both freshman this year."

"Oh really? That's cool. So what's up with Siddharth? I get the feeling he doesn't like me very much."