CHAPTER 2 - ROOK

CHAPTER 2- ROOK

"Neither do the rulers of our State who are true politicians ever take into their hands the doing of any great matter, whether in poetry or in politics, at which they are not inspired by some demon or influenced by divine intuition."

- Plato

RECAP:

Karna ended up becoming a police officer. Due to his schizophrenia, Karna was able to hear the voices of the criminals he had already slain, offering advice on how to kill more of them and the ways to kill them. Karna was so overwhelmed by the flurry of thoughts racing through his mind that he lost patience. He encountered 18 criminals legally; the illegal number is still unknown to many. I mean, there is a reason why higher-ups hate him. Karna felt that he was not in control, and his voices were controlling him. Karna was hospitalised, and Vrindha was a nurse who was taking care of him in the hospital

STORY CONTINUES:

Karna was always hated by his superiors as he was one of those people who wouldn't listen to them. His encounter percentage was 100%; he made sure to kill any criminal he came across. The superiors were fed up with covering things up for him. They didn't want to lose an officer who was that intelligent and efficient, but his anger management was his major issue. That was the main reason he couldn't get a promotion for over a year. He was rude with other officers and also his higher-ups.He used to regard them as "boomers" who were simply bound to a concept of justice and viewed them as animals inside a zoo because they didn't have the same level of guts as Karna to annihilate criminals. He even once yelled at a superior, stating that criminals were better than him because they at least had freedom. From those moments, the officers always held a grudge against him. Now, the recent encounter of the school bus assaulter was the last straw for them.

After recovery, Karna immediately hopped into his car and headed to the police station. Rushing to his chair, he flipped through his old cases and observed the number of cases that were left behind due to a lack of evidence. Furiously, he started to punch the chair. Then, once again, he began to hear voices in his head, demanding him to take his own life, as they believed he deserved to die as they did, then Karna was summoned to the office where a higher-up officer waited for him. "Why did you kill him? Do you think we will cover up every murder you commit with the face of our badge? You are getting on my nerves. I don't think I have to remind you that there are a lot of cases which you haven't yet solved. If you just keep finding people and kill them, you will find no evidence," he barraged him with questions.

Karna just couldn't answer any of them as he thought he didn't have a right to reply until he solved all the cases on his desk. While that was a small part of the reason, the main one was his pride. He couldn't look at himself in the mirror if he apologized to the officer. He calmly asked for more time and assured that he would solve those cases and make sure to control his anger and temper. But the higher-up just couldn't take it anymore, so he gave him a last chance, exclaiming, "I will give you just one more chance. If I see another crime happening on your duty, I will take some serious action against you." Karna knew that the threat was fake as they couldn't just suspend an officer for that puny reason, so he accepted what the officer said and moved on.

The next day on duty, Karna got a phone call about a crime that happened at the cable bridge. By the time he reached the spot, it was completely covered by people surrounding the area. He fought his way into the crowd. With all the noise, he almost could hear the voices in his mind until other officers came to the scene and started investigating. All they found was a dead body and a mobile phone in which the crime was recorded. The whole crime scene was horrific to Karna as the victim was naked and had bullet wounds almost all over his body. Karna opened the mobile and watched the criminal kill the victim. It was one of the goriest things Karna had ever come across.

Amidst all this chaos, one thing Karna observed was the criminal enjoying it while committing the murder. Karna was furious about it. He thought of breaking the phone apart with his bare hands. Then the officers searched more and found a chess coin "ROOK" placed in the victim's mouth. They took it for a DNA test, but Karna just couldn't get it out of his head. Why was there a chess coin here? Did he intentionally put it? Is he trying to puzzle us or play with us? He thought to name the criminal as ROOK. The victim was also coated in makeup, making it more creepy. While he saw that in the video where ROOK was applying makeup, the victim tried to get away but failed. Karna felt empathetic to that person and blamed himself for not being there when it mattered the most.

Karna was able to make the crowd move, but he couldn't escape the hold of the media. They barraged him with questions and asked him what the police force was doing while these kinds of murders kept happening around. He had to answer them to maintain dignity and sanity in his mind. He started to explain exactly how it happened, not leaving a clue. "What could have been the reason? Is this the first murder of the ROOK, or did he do multiple of those in the past?" Karna thought to himself. While answering the press, he just wasn't himself, to the point that an officer had to remind him not to spill all the beans.

The officer continued, "This isn't the first time something like this has happened. Although there have been a lot of reports recently, this one is notable for its savagery and the way the murderer demonstrated how it was done. We literally just arrived here, so we don't know who the murderer is, and we won't be showing the tape for safety concerns. Let's concentrate on our task; please don't ask questions that I can't answer. We only have one piece of advice for everyone: stay on the alert because things are changing. Something truly awful is going on in our surroundings. Just be careful and do not DIE..."

Karna demanded the media to leave immediately, but again, they were hesitant about it as Karna still hadn't given them a satisfactory answer. Thus, Karna just said, "Looking at the chaos, the video, victim, and the way he killed, one thing was sure: this kind of act can only be done by a 'PSYCHO."