Chapter 4: In an Instance

I jolted awake at the sound of loud boom. I could see it was dark outside but had a smokey coloring to it. People were looking around and at the sky. That's when I noticed the large glow of orange in the direction of the city behind me in my rear view mirror. I looked over to my bag and pulled out the knife I had placed in it. I pulled it out and got out of the car. I slinked away and into the woods so I could see what was going on. The grass crunched under my feet and the branches hung in my face. As I pushed past the leaves my eyes boggled. The city I loved was now crumbling to ash. Planes were dropping bombs on the city. Blowing up buildings and shy survivors still in the city. That could have been me...that could be my dad. My friends everyone I knew and cared about. All just gone or one of those...things. I shook my head ridding the thoughts from my brain. I turned around and headed back to the car. Everyone was running and screaming. I quickly jumped in my car just before one of those things slammed against my window. Blood and flesh clung to its teeth. How lovely. I quickly started the car and put it in reverse. Luckily I was beside the edge of the meridian and could get out easily. I put it back in drive and floored it past the cars on the wrong side of the road. I was driving like a manic swerving in between the infected. I could see a million cars up ahead of me who had the same idea that I did. I knew I wouldn't be able to stop in time. I could see a road up ahead it was a little back road but it would work for now. I pulled the e brake and cut the wheel making the car go sideways onto the road with a loud screeching sound as the tires squealed. I left out a reluctant deep breath. I could see some I more people joining the others still on the highway on the wrong side. But I was the only one who had ventured down this unknown road. I slowed my car down a tad so I had more control and could stop but not enough where I wasn't going anywhere. I needed to figure out where I was. But I needed to find a place to park and hold up for the night. Just running around in the dark without a plan is just a waste of gas, time and rest.

~

I had spotted a look out pull off up on the mountain I had drove up. Hopefully none of the infected have made it this far. I pulled my car sideways for an easy getaway if need be. I turned it off and reclined my seat. It was quite besides the sound of distant booms and bangs. And the orange glow in the distance. I could see the planes still bombing the city. What a shame so much was there and now in an moment it was gone.