16

december 2016

IT WAS CHRISTMAS EVE AND EVERYONE WAS AT NICK'S. every single room was filled with people, nick loved it.

"who's was the last to use the santa clause wrapping paper?" conan shouted from the pool room. nobody was sure why he'd be wrapping his presents near water but it worked for him.

"i was using it a couple minutes ago, but jacob took it!" victoria yelled back. conan marched up the stairs and up another flight to jacob's room. nick laughed at the sight.

laura and zendaya were out shopping for food for dinner tonight, olivia was last minute gift shopping, victoria, ariana, kylie, joan, tommy, brian and scott were all putting last minute touches on the tree. tom was sitting there watching, nick took notice of his sad face. he waited for tom to look at him, when he did, he went out to the balcony, tom getting the signal and following.

they sat down on the couch by the fire pit, overlooking new york. nick turned his attention towards tom, he sat with his legs crossed and turned towards him too

"what's wrong?" nick asked tom.

"is it that obvious?" nick nodded.

"i don't know, its just, i've never spent a christmas away from my family. i just hope they aren't upset that i chose to be here instead of there," tom said with tears welled in his eyes, this was the first time nick had ever seen him like this. nick searched the boys face, trying to make him look at him, he finally got it.

"im sorry," nick started, "you would be with your family if it weren't for me. i invited the cast, and then they invite you and you feel obligated to be here. i guess i just like to think that everyone here's a family, but i understand you haven't known them for that long." nick paused and looked up at the actor, they both had just realized what he had done. nick called tom family. "if you're wondering if im going to take back what i just said, im not. you've helped me through a lot actually, and you know things only my momma and my nonna know. kinda sounds like family to me. not friends though, we're sometimes family." he finished and tom smiled.

"sometimes family," tom repeated, "i like being here, so don't think i don't. i just get homesick really easily, and my best memories are with my family back home," he said. nick nodded, understanding completely.

"can i meet them?" nick blurted. his eyes widened, and so did tom's, it was a very random question to ask, "that was a really weird question, never–" but tom interrupted him.

"no, you can, i'll FaceTime them. i've met literally your entire family so its only fair if you meet mine," tom said making nick laugh.

tom's family answered the call immediately, the five of their faces in frame.

"merry christmas!" they all said, it was christmas morning for them, christmas eve for tom and nick.

"merry christmas," tom said, he made a gesture to nick telling him to get in the frame. his face appeared and the family gasped.

"hello, nicholas!" the mom said, "merry christmas!" she said smiling at the boy who was smiling from ear to ear.

"hi. oh my god you guys are all so cute, merry christmas!" nicholas said waving to tom's brothers who were all waving to him. tom smiled at the other boy, he was truly excited to meet them.

"thank you for always letting tom stay when he's in new york, i hope he's respectful," dom, tom's dad said. tom rolled his eyes at the comment, nick looked at tom, laughed and then back at the parents,

"your son is very polite, a very caring person as well," he added. tom smiled at the last part, nick turned his head as he heard laura and olivia shouting they were home.

"okay guys, we have to go. love you all, merry christmas," tom said.

"bye you guys, nice meeting you!" nick said and tom hung up the phone, "god, why cant you be more like your mom, holland? had to lie to her and everything," he said sarcastically and tom laughed

"lets go make some cookies?" tom asked

"of course," nick said softly as they made their way inside to everyone.

nick stopped dead in his tracks when he entered the living room. there, sitting next to tommy, was ross. tom looked at nick, he didn't know what he should do. he suddenly took nick's arm and pulled him into the bathroom that was to their left

"i can tell him to leave," tom said immediately and nick smiled at him

"nah, its okay, i can handle myself holland. thank you though," nick said getting ready to walk out, he turned to tom again, "if i didn't know any better i would think you're starting to care about me," nick smirked at the actor.

"by you pulling me out on the balcony earlier asking me if i was okay, i would say the same," tom replied

"touché. lets go make some cookies," nick smiled.