To Be Loved

"Felix," An intern knocked on the doorframe of Felix's office, catching his attention. She bit her painted lips while waiting for a response, her nerves permeating throughout the room. 

"Yes?" He asked, not looking up from his computer screen. The day had gone smoothly so far, if he kept the thoughts of Amber at bay and focused more on dance practice and finding Hyunjin a suitable job. 

"You're father would like to see you" 

His hands froze over the keyboard. "Did he say what he wants?"

She shook her head. "All he said is that it's urgent"

Felix stood, swallowing hard before nodding for her dismissal. Whenever his father called him in, it was almost certainly to get yelled yet. Even When Felix excelled at his work, when he closed huge deals, his father took no note of it. But the second he slipped, there was hell to pay. 

This time was different in the sense that Felix had no idea why his father would want to see him. Most of the time he would know if he wasn't making as much progress at work as he expected or in some way didn't live up to his image his father wanted him to have, Felix would know and prepare himself to be scolded. The uncertainty of the situation made Felix all the more anxious. He would have no idea what he was apologising for. 

He wordlessly sat down in the chair facing his father's desk, waiting for him to get off the phone with amplifying nerves. Every little mistake Felix had ever made flashed through his mind up until the moment his father hung up. 

"Yongbok," He started, pushing his glasses up as he examined his son like he was appraising him. "I have some plans for you"

"Plans?" Felix asked after a beat of confused silence. His father wasn't exactly the conversation type, but he at least expected a little small talk before they got into business. 

"I let your girlfriend come to Korea with us with the intent that you would get married very soon," He started, leaning back in his chair to best gage Felix's reactions. "That was the only reason I allowed her to live in the same house as you. But it's been too long, Yongbok. You're mother is strongly against it, and that's before even mentioning your public image" 

Felix suppressed the urge to argue that his public image wasn't a big deal. He wasn't famous, there was no risk of paparazzi trying to expose the fact that he lived with girlfriend before they got married. What his father really wanted to protect was their reputation within his friend groups, but he didn't want to say that outright. 

His father continued. "We've started to make arrangements for the ceremony, it will happen before the end of the year. She will say yes if you propose, right?"

Felix opened his mouth and then closed it again as his father went on. 

"If not, figure it out" He said. "This is the last time I do you a favor, because here I am cleaning up your mess. It's improper, you know that. I raised you better"

"I'm sorry," Felix looked down at his lap. "I'll figure it out" 

"It's this or she can go back to Australia" He snapped to make Felix look him in the eye. "You need a wife as soon as possible. You know your mother is getting antsy about grandkids" 

"Right," Felix tried to appear unbothered. This had been a long time coming, but for whatever reason Felix always saw it as being a task for the distant future. Explaining the situation to Amber was going to incredibly difficult, especially after the fight they had. 

Every way he tried to look at the situation, it was shitty. Normally, he tried to make the best out of everything, but he just couldn't do it here. He couldn't force himself to be content with orders anymore, but he also couldn't find the strength to fight back.