Chapter 3

Hey Layla, what are you doing? Kai asked me

Hii, Nothing much, just preparing for the class

You are such a student, aren't you?

Can't do anything about it, can I?

Point, ohh, I heard Ruelle, and I loved her, especially 'War of Hearts.' It touched my heart.

Ohh, really, she is a great singer, and I am so sorry about yesterday. It was just a reflex. I can't tolerate anyone saying anything about Ruelle.

It's totally fine, honey. Don't sweat about it.

Honey? Honey! Honey!? Is he flirting with me??? Doesn't he already have a girlfriend? Okay, red flag, red flag marked.

Layla, hii, you look cute today, Matt interrupted my chain of thoughts. Cute!? What is happening today? Until yesterday I was this loner girl who didn't know anybody, and now these people are just acknowledging me. Suddenly, my invisible cloak has a hole, and everyone can see me now. When it's just two people who have acknowledged me.

Eh, hello, and thank you. How are you

Good. You were the only person who was on my side yesterday.

I know how to appreciate good music. Even Kai likes Ruelle now.

Ohh, seriously, he looked at Kai and smirked.

Okay, people, his smirk is cute. At this rate, I will develop a crush on him. A crush I will never act upon. In my entire 20 years of life, I had had two crushes, one when I was a sophomore and the second one, in High school. I wish I had a sister like Lara Jean who could send my love letters to my crushes. 

Can I? He asked me, pointing towards the seat beside me

Of course

You gonna leave me alone! Kai interrupted.

Kai, you won't die sitting alone.

The lectures went just as usual; however, my entire body was alert. As if someone would try to kill me, I have to pay attention so I don't get killed. I have never been this alert before. My body working on reflex. Instead of focusing on the class, my focus was on how Matt scribbled notes, the way he wrote, the way his eyes shrank when he was trying to concentrate, the head tilts, the smiles, the noise he made with his legs while changing his sitting posture, the innocent little touches that made me almost jump. The long, tortuous hours finally ended when all the lectures for the first half got over. I was eager to get up and run but didn't think it was possible. As soon as lectures got over, Kai dumped me with sets of questions. What was the ratio in Lee v air farming? What did the prof say after this? How do we differentiate between oppression and mismanagement? What are you planning to specialize in, though?

Kai gave that girl a break; Sophie interjected, thank you, Sophie. With Sophie, there were others, Jean, Lara, Nate, and a new face I believe to be Christoph.

Darling, where were you all morning? I was looking for you guys. This bastard here ditched me. I was so lonely. Okay, Kai addresses almost everyone with honey or darling; he is such a cute baby. NOTED.

Stop being such a baby Kai. This time, it was Lara.

I am the youngest equivalent of I am a baby.

Since Layla is part of our group, you are no longer the youngest. Sophie remarked

What? You stole my position, honey. How would I get my work done now?

Get your work done yourself, mate. Said Christoph

Guys, leave him, such an attention seeker he is. Matt added

No, but he is cute, totally a baby, I agree. I added.

Don't encourage him, Layla. He's  a trouble. Lara said

You know I am still right here, and you are not as good, honey. Kai interjected

Are we gonna waste our break here!? Jean spoke for the first time, sounding a little irritated. Is it because of me? Should I have excused myself early? You and your overthinking self. We headed towards the canteen. Kai, Sophie, and Matt were by my side chit-chatting, and that's when I was told Jean becomes a bitch when she is hungry as if they read my mind.

Days have passed since I started hanging out with this new group. I don't feel like a stranger, but I am still uncomfortable. Kai, Matt, and Sophie are the people I talk to the most. Then it's Jean and Christoph. There are all types of talk here. These people have diverse interests, and they all share them with each other, sometimes bulshitting about stuff, sometimes taking care of each other, sometimes handling each other's shit. I devote an hour of my library time to these people. I can't lose focus on my goals; this one hour costs me one hour less sleep every night. But then it's worth it. They take away my loneliness. I don't have to be alone in lectures or breaks or eat lunch alone.