one

present time

"absolutely not." i scold at his words, turning around to continue down the hall. "send them home as soon as they arrive. they aren't welcome here."

"MG, of course they are welcome. they are allies, our aligned safety net just as we are theirs. the kingdoms are merely trying to show you their support in this crisis."

i turn my head to look at atlas, my elder brother. at least, he's one of them, but the only one i was raised besides. i've known him for the entirety of my life, and therefore, it had seemed to be the right choice, the only choice, to ask him to be my right hand. that was, up until now.
"the northern kingdom have never been in any crisis, and if we were to have, they would be four years too late." i say, speeding up in the hopes that i shake atlas off in my hurry. to my dismay, he keeps up, matching my pace as he comes up besides me.

"work with me here. we need to show them the respect they are showing us. sending them home would create tension, and you know as well as i do, that compared to the other kingdoms, we are weakened."

i come to sudden halt, meeting his eyes. "weakened?" i say, my voice suddenly dark. "my kingdom, the northern kingdom, is not weakened in comparison to the other kingdoms."

atlas shakes his head, raising his hands as he defends himself. "i didn't mean it in that way, MG. it's just, well, they have a hierkaki, they have counsels and nobles and their systems are strong because of it."

"and i have you," i say, shaking my head. "what's your point?"

atlas rolls his eyes. "MG, please, just work with me on this. any kindness we show these princes will be returned, and the same goes for disrespect."

i look away, weighing my options. "okay." i say, and atlas smiles, seemingly satisfied with himself. "we will allow them to stay the night, and then haul them out in the morning." i nod, before turning to leave and rushing off. this time, atlas stays back but i hear his loud sigh even as i move away.

four years ago, i burned the northern castle down to the ground. three and a half years ago, i sent north and the rest of them to the outer-ring to live beneath my father's rules, while my brothers that had previously lived over there, both chose to move to the castle. three years ago, i finished the build of the new castle that was build on the ashes of the old one. it stands taller, a bit smaller, but in lighter colours with less hallways and more windows to allow natural light to brighten the large rooms. two years ago, i was crowned as the first and only, queen of the northern kingdom. the ceremony was merely for the public, as my crowning technically happened years ago by that point.

so much has happened since then, and now, four years later, the remaining three kingdoms has chosen now would be the perfect time to 'show their respect for our crisis and how we've overcome it' by sending each of their oldest sons here.

here. to the northern kingdom. to my kingdom, and my home.
and why? for them to meet me, and pay their respects for the great loss we have all suffered as a nation. four years after it has happened.

as i turn the corner, graham is leaned up against the wall next to the door i am heading towards. i fight back the urge to roll my eyes as i see him, realising that the discussion isn't over.
"MG," graham says as i pass him, completely ignoring his presence. "they'll be here tomorrow,"

"and they'll be gone again before the sun rises." i snap back, standing my ground, as i make my way into the room. as expecting, graham follows me inside followed himself by atlas. i turn around to face the both of them. "you see them as four princes coming to pay their respects, while i see them as four powerful, entitled strangers coming to roam around the first home i have ever felt i belonged in. i didn't need their help, i didn't need anyone's help, when i rebuild this place and i surely don't need their respect now that i've done it."

"we understand that, MG." atlas says, exchanging looks with graham before stepping forward. "and we hadn't expected you to necessarily approve of their visit after everything that's happened. but that doesn't change the fact that we need these alliances to guarantee our people's safety as well as our own. we are a strong kingdom but we are certainly weaker without the other kingdoms."

with a sigh, i take a seat in the chair behind the desk that is placed in the centre of the room, but closest to the backwall. at first, i hadn't wanted an office as it hadn't felt necessary and i still wasn't sure if it was, but having a secluded place to myself certainly had become a necessity. it wasn't until i stood in it that i had realised just how little time and space to yourself you had as a ruler.

"why are they here?" i ask, my voice lower than before. i'm loosing my grip on my stance on the matter from before.

"they want to pay their respects," graham says.

i shake my head. "i'm aware. i meant, why would they come four years after? why not offer their help earlier?"

they both take a moment to think about this, before atlas clears his throat. "in one of the letters, it said that the princes have yet to meet each other as well. they want a closer alliance than what has been before, and this seems to be their way of doing that."

i nod along with his words. "i suppose, that makes sense."

"they are strangers, but they aren't dangerous, MG. they are rulers of a kingdom just like you are." graham says.

i roll my eyes at him, noticing the grin on his face. "i want a guard on them at all times, and i won't pretend to be someone i'm not."

atlas nods. "that's reasonable. what else?"

"no dinners and no tours around the castle. they aren't staying for more than a week, and even that's pushing it. if they are bringing any staff themselves, give them time off and let our own handle their needs. i don't need more people roaming around that necessary."

atlas smiles, seemingly proud of himself. "of course." he says. "now, let's get this show on the road."