twelve

as much as it seems like the easiest option to simply hate barlas for the choices he's made today, i try to stay rational.
bexley is resisting her bands, despite knowing they won't budge. she keeps pushing at them, only further injuring her own wrists.
atlas is sitting further back, the look in his eyes telling me that learning about his sister's death has led him to spiral. he isn't talking, moving or blinking.
it only takes a few minutes of us being left behind in the room for me to realise how much has been lost in the matter of minutes.
"i'm so sorry," ilium cries, repeating the same phrase over and over again. she shakes her head, sniffling in the between the chants, almost like i'm an endless loop. "i didn't know. i'm so sorry,"
suddenly, over a radio, a voice booms out that they've arrived at the top quarters. it startles me slightly but that feeling is soon replaced by a sinking feeling. four of the men step up to each of us, standing as if awaiting instruction.
"now," one of them says, checking his wristwatch. at this, i frown, refusing to assume the worst. they were never given instructions to kill us, were they?
before i can ponder further, the men step up and with a few tugs at the ropes, they untie us. all but one has the ropes untied but even ilium is pulled up from her seat with her hands remaining tied.
"come on," one of them says, giving her a nudge towards the door. "the rest follow behind her." the words are spoken as an order but far from any threat. it isn't a question but we are free to walk on our own, no guards at our side.
"seven minutes," the same guard as before speaks again, but this time without looking at his watch this time. whatever he means is above me.
we are ushered out of the room and then down the hallways toward the staircase.
"where are we going?" bexley asks as she slows down but a guard grips her arm, helping her regain speed as he walks next to her. barlas and north have both left with the others, so actually no one is longer here to give out orders. i wonder if they're allowed to talk to us outside of giving us orders, and even if they are, they probably wouldn't tell us anything.
"the top quarters," one of them says. to my utter surprise. it seems like the guards have suddenly changed stance, no longer pushing us around like sacks of rotten potatoes. they're letting us walk, no pushing, no orders. essentially, not treating us as the prisoners we essentially are.
i decide to try my luck. "to safety?"
at this, a few of the guards chuckle.