seven

it shouldn't have been much more surprising that maire-grace had been right to keep an eye out for the princes, than any other time when she's been right.
tonight's dinner has proven her suspicions to be completely true, as well as expose our guests as invaders more so.
and yet, i had expected an entirely different outcome than what was currently presented in front of me. three princes, each one smiling and engaging in light small talk with each one of us. ironically enough, with maire excusing herself and leaving her seat empty now meant that graham and i were placed on the opposite side of the table and the princes on the other. it seemed either like another strategic move on behalf of our queen or only a coincidence, but i couldn't make up my mind on which.

"so, prince caden seemed to have chosen to have his dinner alone. what would the reason be for that?" i say, cutting into the food on my plate slowly.

"oh, well, he must have just been tired after our travelling." one of them answers but as i keep my focus on the plate, i can't tell which one.

besides me, graham cleared his throat. "as is to be expected," he says, before stuffing a large piece of meat into his mouth. he chews slowly and i send him a short glare knowing that he is going to chew on that single bite for as long as possible to keep himself out of the conversation. pathetic, i mutter.
he offers me a stuffed, crooked smile.

"so, how is the queen doing with being the sole ruler of the north?"
it is prince valdemar that asks the question but my attention is dragged towards the prince next to him. beneath the table, he is moving, fiddling with something that is kept hidden by the wooden surface.
"it was a sudden, enormous change when it first happened, but it has been four years. she has adjusted and succeeded." i reply, meeting the prince valdemar's gaze just a moment too late. he notices where my sight goes and following it, he looks down into the prince's lap. quickly, he digs an elbow into the side of him and he soon puts it away and focuses back on his plate as if has nothing happened.

"of course, and the reconstruction of the castle has come with a beautiful end result. it seems bigger, more majestic than before perhaps." prince valdemar smiles and i return it.

the moment after the dinner finishes and each prince is escorted back to their rooms by our maids, i turn on my heel, dragging graham with me into the opposite end of the castle.

"what?" graham asks, attempting to keep his balance as i pull at him. "what is the rush? they seemed normal, nothing to report yet."

"you need to start paying more attention if you truly believe that, graham." i say, glancing back towards him. a flown is plastered on his face, pure confusion as we keep speeding down the hallways that lead to the back staircase.
"we need to talk to her." i say, not feeling the time to explain much else.
at the back end of the castle, MG has her own quarters, at a certain distance to any other rooms. her office, bedroom and library.
"wouldn't she be upstairs, you know, murdering bexley?"
i snicker, slightly before passing the staircase that would lead upstairs. "MG left the table for the same reason that we did. she must have noticed something. bexley could jump one of the princes, MG probably wouldn't even notice."

"but didn't bexley send for her?"

at this question, i can't help but come to a sudden halt. i turn around to meet graham's eyes before narrowing mine at him. "you believed that?" i asks, and suddenly, his frown forms into wide, realising eyes as the pieces of the puzzle suddenly fit for him.

"she is horrifying," he whispers and i can't help but laugh before continuing down the hall.