A Star's memories...

A hot summer's night in Tongyeong, Korea 1991. "Congratulations Mrs. Park its a beautiful healthy baby girl! What is your daughter's name?" asked the nurse. "I am going to call her Byul, so that she can shine bright and be loved and adored"

Byul's POV

*10 years later: July, 2001 Tongyeong, Korea*

Apparently my mom's recently divorced friend is moving in with her son right next to my family's. "Mom! Your friend is finally here!" I shouted. "Oh! I am so excited! Listen Byul, I want you to make sure her son, fits right in with this neighborhood alright? Introduce him to the neighborhood kids and especially make him feel welcome at school when school starts again okay? You can do that for me right darling? Remember you promised me last night that you would" said my mom. "Yeah, I guess" I sighed. "Why can't Haneul do it?" I whined. "Because she attends middle school and you're in elementary school. Plus, you're the one who is the same age as him it wouldn't make sense! I will ask her to be nice too. There, is that fair now?" Mom said with a slight annoyance. I groaned as my mom marched me and my older sister out the door to greet her friend. "AHHH! Soomi! I am so glad you're finally here! How long has this been like 5 years?" My mom said excitedly as she hugged her best friend. Soomi looked over to me and my sister "Oh my Haneul you grew into a young lady already! How old are you now?" Soomi asked as she hugged my sister. "It's nice to see you again too Ahjuma* and I actually turned 14 last month heh heh" "Already 14? oh my you're grown up already!" Soomi said as she laughed and moved on to greet me. "And you must be Byul! I heard you are the same age as my son. Yul! Come over and meet your new friend!" Soomi turned to the truck and there I saw a small boy who still had his seatbelt on . "Oh please excuse him. He's still not happy about the whole divorce and having to move in with me to the countryside." Soomi said as she walked sadly to the truck with a tear in her eye. She opened the side door and they seemed to be arguing. Then she unbuckled her son's seat belt. The boy looked over and made eye contact with me for a good 10 seconds. Then went back to quarreling with his mom for another minute. It was already freaking 10 minutes when his mom excused herself to go to her son! Boy must he be stubborn. Shortly after the weird eye contact we made, he finally stepped out and walked over to us. My first impression of his? Well his face shows all the hurt and anger in him. He was quiet and unfriendly. " Byul! This is my son Yul. He is nine years old just like you. Yul.. Introduce yourself honey" Soomi said as she pushed her son towards me. I, considering the friendly and nice person that I am, offered a handshake to him. "Hi I'm Byul , lets be friends. I'll introduce you to all the neighborhood kids and when we go back to school i'll intoduce you to everyone there too." I said as I offered my hand out. He looked at me then at my still lingering hand then at me and seemed like he was going to shake it but then hesitated and looked at his mom. Then he scowled and walked away into his new house without a word! I cant believe how rude he is! "I'm so sorry Byul. He's just really angry at me and his dad. I'm really sorry" Then Soomi turned to my mom and said "Hey Miyoung I'm sorry I'll just see you tonight for dinner then?" Then she quickly went after Yul and into their new house. I still had my hand out and scoffed. "Mommy! I hope you know that I will NOT be nice to that boy. AND I will NOT introduce him to my friends nor be friends with him!" I said as I stomped back into my house, but my mom stopped me and said "Byul! you pinky promised to me last night that you will be nice. Dont shut your heart out now sweetie give him a chance. He's just going through a very hard time. So please promise me you will give him another chance and be extra nice? Please?" My mom pleaded so I had no choice but to be the good daughter that I am and say "okay fine mommy I will".

Authors note! :)
Please leave me feedback! Thanks hope you enjoyed 😊
-Byul in korean means star

-Umma in korean means mom