xii

Since then, I have been bullied because of my brown skin.

And it feels like I'm not in my homeland.

They sound like, "Why you're so black?"

I get insecure about what they say, every time I see fair-skinned people, I wish that I was born white.

My self-confidence drops and I don't want to go outside because of the eyes around.

How dare you say that to young people?

An adult who discriminates against young ones.

Youth who discriminate against their fellow youth.

"You're not beautiful because you're not white." I grew up on this false belief, that our standard in society of having a white-skinned color has much favor, they're treasure.

How dare you plant false beliefs on young ones who will grow up insecure about their color?

Yes, it's me and others who were hiding from the beauty of the world that we should be enjoying and not hiding from the people around us who will just step us down.

Brown and black-skinned color are not beautiful?

Can't you see how dark your manners are?

Morena is beautiful.

Black is beautiful.

They're more of a treasure than those people who discriminate them.

All skinned colors are beautiful, they should be treated fairly.

To someone who commented on me that I shouldn't be representing my own country for the United Nation celebration because I'm not white?

Well, I let that pass because I was too young to handle it before that I ended up, representing another country.

After that happened, I woke up from the truth.

Now that I realize having a brown-skinned color should not be ashamed for.

We're just blind to the standard of beauty that they set for us.

I learned to love my color as you should too.

I realize that I'm beautiful in my own way and if someone said that it's not true, you already know the truth within yourself, you are love.

You are a treasure and don't ever let anyone bury you from the darkness of this world.

Colourism.