Chapter 12: Found

Italicize - someone's thoughts or a story from the past

Bold - sign language 

"What was the one thing I asked? The one thing?" Jake said sternly, pushing his two sons into the Mauri pod.

"Stay out of trouble," Lo'ak mumbled.

"Stay out of trouble. Right," Jake nodded his head.

Neteyam took a step toward his father and brother as he held up his arms, "It was my fault," He said, trying to take the blame for his brother.

The father shook his head, "I don't think so. You've got to stop taking the heat for this knucklehead," Jake gritted as he glared at Lo'ak for the trouble he had caused.

"Dad, Ao'nung was picking on Kiri, and he made fun of Ja'lia's parents," Lo'ak said, hoping that it would help his father to understand his actions.

Jake took a step back as he felt his ears tilt down. If there was one thing that Jake loved about his son, it was that he loved hard and he protected anyone he cared for. Lo'ak had always had a short temper, and Jake knew that. His youngest son had always been protective of his siblings and Ja'lia.

But this wasn't home.

They were permitted to take refuge at the Metkayina clan, and Jake could take the risk of letting it slide that his children got into a fight with the Olo'eyktan's son.

"Go apologize to Ao'nung," Jake said, and as soon as he uttered the words he immediately regretted them.

Both boys looked at their father distraught, as they couldn't believe that he was making Lo'ak apologize for sticking up for his family, for his best friend.

"But, Dad," Lo'ak started, but he was interrupted by his father. "He's the Chief's son. Do you understand? I don't care how you do it. Just go, make peace. Go!" Jake raised his voice, and Lo'ak stormed past his father while Neteyam followed closely behind him.

"Hey. How'd the other guys look?" Jake asked, and Neteyam turned to look at his father. "Worse. A lot worse," Neteyam said, and Jake let out a sigh of relief.

"Good," Jake said, trying to hide his delight at the fact that his two sons kicked the Metkayina boys' asses. He didn't want to make Lo'ak apologize, but he didn't know what else to do. It was already hard enough convincing Ronal to let them stay, and he feared that any little thing would set her off and that she would kick them out.

"Go get patched up. I told Ja'lia to go get some medicine," Jake informed, and Neteyam left the pod to go and find his friend.

~~~~

"You are such an idiot," Lo'ak scolded as he continued to look for Ao'nung and his friends, "Stupid. Stupid. Stupid," He chanted until he bumped into someone, knocking them on their butt.

"Lo'ak?" A voice said, confused.

Lo'ak tilted his head down to see Ja'lia looking up at him with worry, "Are you okay?" She asked, pushing herself onto her feet.

"I'm fine," He grumbled before looking the girl over to see if he caused any injuries. "No, you're not," Ja'lia said, grabbing either side of his face so that he'll look her in the eye.

He tried to avoid her gaze, but Ja'lia had always been persistent, so he figured it would be better to give in sooner rather than later. "Let's get you cleaned up," Ja'lia said as her eyes focused on the cut on Lo'ak's bottom lip.