❀˖°𝔹𝕠𝕟𝕦𝕤 ℂ𝕙𝕒𝕡𝕥𝕖𝕣❀˖°

ᴛʜɪꜱ ɪꜱ ᴄʜᴀᴘᴛᴇʀ 8: ꜰɪꜱʜ ʙᴏʏ, ʙᴜᴛ ᴛᴏʟᴅ ꜰʀᴏᴍ ʟᴏ'ᴀᴋ'ꜱ ᴘᴏᴠ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ᴛʜɪʀᴅ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ (ɪ ꜱᴜᴄᴋ ᴀᴛ ꜰɪʀꜱᴛ ᴘᴇʀꜱᴏɴ ᴡʀɪᴛɪɴɢ). ᴛʜᴇʀᴇ ᴡɪʟʟ ᴀʟꜱᴏ ʙᴇ ᴀᴅᴅɪᴛɪᴏɴ ꜱᴄᴇɴᴇꜱ ᴀᴅᴅᴇᴅ ᴛᴏ ɢᴇᴛ ᴀ ʙᴇᴛᴛᴇʀ ʟᴏᴏᴋ ᴀᴛ ʜᴏᴡ ʟᴏ'ᴀᴋ ꜰᴇᴇʟꜱ ᴀʙᴏᴜᴛ ᴊᴀ'ʟɪᴀ ᴇᴀʀʟʏ ᴏɴ ɪɴ ᴛʜᴇ ʙᴏᴏᴋ. ᴇɴᴊᴏʏ!

Lo'ak ran over to Ja'lia after he saw her resurface and made her way back over to shallow water. "How did you get it on your first try?" Lo'ak asked, and the boy's best friend looked at him with an amused look on her face.

"Because I took my time entering the water instead of making it a race," She retorted, and Lo'ak put the most offended look he could muster on his face as he watched his best friend. Was she seriously making fun of him right now? After she watched him fail multiple times while she got it on her first try?

I'm so getting her back for that later. Lo'ak thought to himself.

Sometimes, he was envious of how quickly and efficiently Ja'lia completed tasks, but he wasn't jealous. No Lo'ak could never be jealous of her because she had the kindest soul he'd ever met. She was always so caring and thoughtful to those around her, and half the time, he wondered why she was even friends with him.

What had he done to deserve her friendship?

Nothing. The boy thought to himself.

He didn't feel that he deserved to be her friend because all he'd ever brought her was trouble. Granted, sometimes she was the reason they got grounded, but most of the time it was Lo'ak.

Lo'ak pulled himself away from his thoughts as he saw a teasing smile on Ja'lia's face, "Neteyam did the same thing I did!" He yelled, causing Neteyam to look at him in confusion.

"What did I do?" Neteyam asked eyebrows knitted together in confusion.

"You went directly underwater right after you connected your queue," Lo'ak said.

"So did you," Neteyam responded.

Before either of the brothers knew it, they were pulled into a petty argument as neither of them appreciated being called out on their horrendous ilu riding skills. But while they were arguing, they failed to realize that all the girls had left to get something to eat, and it wasn't until Lo'ak turned around to ask Ja'lia to help him out that he noticed she wasn't there.

"Where did they go?" Lo'ak questioned, causing Neteyam to roll his eyes.

"They probably went to get food. It's lunchtime," Neteyam said, walking away from his younger brother to get some food before there wasn't any left. "Hey! Wait, up!" Lo'ak shouted, chasing after his brother.

The two boys walked in silence as Lo'ak let his thoughts drift to moments prior when they were learning how to ride the ilus. As he looked back on his memories, he remembered how he saw how cozy Ao'nung looked next to Ja'lia, and it made him angry.

Ao'nung had no business getting so up close and personal with his best friend, and Lo'ak would make it clear to Ao'nung where he and Ja'lia could stand. They could talk, possibly be friends if Ja'lia wanted to be, but never, under any circumstances, was Ao'nung ever allowed to go any further than friendship with Ja'lia.

She was too good for him.

Hell, Lo'ak felt no one would ever be good enough for her. No one would ever live up to the sky-high expectations he had for her future suitors. However, before Lo'ak confronted Ao'nung, he wanted to make sure that he wasn't the only one who noticed.