CHAPTER 2

SIZZLE

The oil sizzles as Valerie cracks the egg onto the hot pan. She looks at the clock;

6:30 pm

The two friends decided to have dinner at Valerie’s place by 7:00 pm and she has already started preparing their meal. The short-haired girl opens up the kitchen cabinet and grabs two packets of instant pancit canton. 

She opens the lid of the pot and steam rises, indicating the water has started to boil. Valerie opens up the two packs of noodles and puts the noodles in the boiling water and closes the lid. She then sets the flavor packets aside and throws the plastic away. 

As the fried eggs have finished cooking, she sets them aside on a plate and opens her phone to check Instagram. After scrolling for a few minutes, she takes out the noodles and strains them at the sink.

7:00 pm

At 7:00 sharp, a knock on the door is heard. A small smile creeps up on her red-tinted lips, knowing that it is her best friend on the other side. As she swings the door open, she immediately greets the tall boy with a hug, “Dinner’s ready.”

"Alright, I'll be inside but let me put a shirt on before we eat." He chuckles as he hugs her back. 

After he said that, Valerie’s face turns red and she immediately pulls away. “Ew! Go put on a shirt!” She pushes him but she couldn’t help but stare at his physique. 

"Alright, alright damn, hold your horses bruh. What did you cook?” Miguel asks.

“Deez nuts,” she replies jokingly. “I just made something simple. Pancit canton with fried egg,” Valerie adds.

Miguel smiles and pats her head. "You always know what makes me happy."

The 5’8” girl crosses her arms while looking at her friend with a pout on her face, “You know I hate it when you pat my head.” 

Miguel raises his eyebrows "I thought you like those? You don't seem to mind them back when I used to do it often and it's cute you know. You're like a pet."

She rolls her eyes, “‘Pet’ my ass.” She tried hitting him but Miguel was able to grab her wrist and stop her midway. Valerie tried pulling but his grip was strong. 

They both went back and forth until the black-haired girl pulled really hard and they both fell on the floor with Miguel on top of her. 

"Ughhh." He says and just stares at her eyes, not knowing what to do.

Valerie found herself staring into Miguel’s eyes as they looked into hers. With him on top of her, she could feel him breathing and his heart beating fast as their bodies touch. From his eyes, her gaze shifted down to his lips and blood rushed to her cheeks, heating up her face and causing her heart to beat faster. 

The boy best friend clears his throat and gets up and reaches out his hand to help his friend. "You alright? Did you hurt yourself? Any bruises?" He says in a worried tone.

Still seemingly shocked from what just happened, she just nods and softly replies, “Y-yeah, I’m alright.”

"Good, glad you're safe." Miguel says and looks at the table trying to not make things awkward and defuse the situation.

“Come on, let’s eat,” His friend invites, back with the same energy as before like nothing happened.

TIMESKIP >>>

Miguel walks inside the school and in the hallway minding his own business, trying to get to his class. Other students are looking at him and seemingly fascinated by how tall he is and hear the praises coming from the others.