CHAPTER 8

As Valerie shuts the locker door, she gets surprised by Sam crossing her arms while glaring at her.

"Wassup?" She says awkwardly, lowkey afraid of the brunette. "Explain why you have my boyfriend's jacket," Sam bluntly says.

Valerie turns to her and holds her by the shoulders, "I just borrowed it. My dumb ass forgot to bring a jacket when I'm just wearing a tank top. Wouldn't wanna get dress coded." She lies but she only did it to reassure the light brown-eyed girl.

Sam sighs, feeling relieved that it was nothing serious. "Okay, I feel a lot better now. But girl, you can borrow a jacket from me too. Just text me or whatever." 

Valerie just nods with a smile, "Thanks, Sam." They then hug it out, basically making up.

After the hug, Sam lets go of Valerie and checks the time on her phone before she clicks her tongue.  "Shit, I’m late, they must have started already.”

Valerie raises her eyebrows and asks, "Late for what?”

Sam looks at her and smiles. ”Obviously my baby's practice game. I didn't watch last time because it was late when they started, but today their schedule is early so I can watch." As Sam said that, she thought of an idea.

“Hey, you wanna come watch with me?” He invited the short-haired girl, who just nodded to answer her and they both walked towards the gym. 

Meanwhile, in the gym, it was usually more intense than usual. The usual tension was added, when both Miguel and James are teammates for today's 5v5 practice. Coach is even stricter than usual because of the fight yesterday.

As Joseph dribbles down the court  because he's on the opposite team, he passes it to  Marcus and he shoots a jump shot. But the shot misses, both Miguel and James jump and grab the ball together.

Both of them look at each other before James lets go and jogs down to the court, while Miguel handles the ball and dribbles it past half court.

As it is in half court, Miguel drives it in and gets double teamed. He sees James was open but refuses to pass it to him, instead opting to shoot a tough jumper over two people and it goes in.

 Everyone cheers, impressed by it. ”That’s my baby! Nice shot babe!” Everyone looks to the direction where the noise came from and sees Samantha cheering for Miguel and next to her is Valerie, who has a proud look on her face and claps.

Miguel smiles because he saw both his favourite girls, while James is also smiling and looks at Miguel. ”Pass me the ball this time."

“Get it on the rebound cause I'm not passing.” He said bluntly and James just rolls his eyes and gets back on defence.

Meanwhile on the benches, Sam is cheering for her boyfriend while Valerie gives her the side eye. 

As practice goes on the two boys get even more intense as they both try to show off to the girls as time goes by the two boys are even competing against each other getting more rebounds, more assists, more points against each other.

After a few more session, coach

K stops practice and gathers players."All of you  today especially, Miguel and James. I see you both were very motivated earlier." The others chuckle, while the two are just silent.

"Still both of you are going to be on the bench in the next game, but even if it happens , you two are still willing to work hard,practice so I'm going to end practice early as your reward." Everyone cheers and thank the coach and they start heading to the showers.

TIMESKIP>>>>>>

After the shower, Miguel changes back to his original clothes. He then puts away his practice ones in his gym bag  before closing it and walks out and puts his gym bag over his shoulder.

As he walks out he sees Sam and James are talking. Both of them are having a conversation.

Miguel never minds it at first but then his expression changes, when he sees Sam smiling more than usual, he sees that she's touching James in the arms but in a weird way.

This rubs Miguel off a little because he never saw her smile like that before, sure he saw her smile like that when she's cheering but this time is different.

Miguel feels off about it. He then walks towards them a little closer and hears their conversation.

"What if Miguel finds out?" James whispers. 

"Find out about what?" Miguel intercept, walking up to the two. Sam's eyes widen, "Babe-"

"Don't babe me." He said to Sam, cutting her off before looking at James, "Finish the sentence James, what do you mean find out what?"

James clears his throat, "Nothing. I'm gonna go." He tries to run off but Miguel manages to block him.

"Nahh, you're staying and if you don't I will make you say it." He says, threatening him.

"It's nothing, babe. I swear!" Sam says. "What are you doing with this asshole when you know I hate his guts?!" Miguel raises his voice at her.

She looks at James nervously then back at Miguel. James pushes Miguel, "Back off. You're scaring her."

"Back off? You should back off because she's my girlfriend, asshole find someone who wants your stupid ass." Miguel pushes him back also and drops his bag clenching his fists, preparing to hit James.

James also does the same while glaring at Miguel. Sam notices this and goes between them. Facing Miguel she raises her hand up to his eye level. "Don't hit him!"

"Seriously? You gonna fucking take his side?" He just looks at her and smiles at her bitterly.

She holds both his hands, "I just don't want you to get into trouble, babe." She turns to James, "Please go. I'm sorry about this." He just nods then jogs away.

She looks back at her boyfriend and hugs him, "I'm sorry babe. I really am." This causes Miguel to soften his expression but he doesn't hug her back, still feeling betrayed.

Valerie taps Miguel on the arm as she sees them in the hallway. "Yo, when are we going?" 

She then notices Sam hugging him. "Oh, sorry for disturbing me." She was about to leave but Miguel lets go of Sam and holds Valerie by the wrist, "Wait for me." He mutters softly. 

Sam stands there, flabbergasted, unable to utter a single word. Valerie just nods and they walk over to the parking area with Miguel still holding her wrist.

"I feel like shit." He says before chuckling and and just shakes his head in confusion before hopping in his motorcycle and puts on his helmet. 

"Let's go home Val, I feel like I'm about to punch a wall, if I stay here much longer." He says before turning on his motorcycle. She puts on her helmet and hops on the back then head home together.