Chapter 1

***Carson***

***Carson***

Sure, enough as I got closer to the house, I started to hear the familiar sound of bickering coming from downstairs. 

With a deep sigh I quietly opened the door, tiptoeing through the threshold as the loud voices of my father and stepmother echoed from the kitchen. Despite the few creeks that sounded as I stepped up the staircase my appearance remained unnoticed, as usual. Which I was thankful for, because the last thing that I wanted was to be caught up in the shitshow. 

Unfortunately for me though I couldn't sneak past my stepbrother as his room sat directly across from mine. He was just rounding the corner as I made my way up the stairs. I was only inches from running into him, but luckily was able to catch myself. I knew that regardless, I was still in deep sh*t. 

Carson was my biggest bully, my main tormentor. He was a 6.4 jock that was in the same grade as I was. He was the type of person to always look for a punching bag if he was having a bad day. Seems how I was what he considered a loner and a freak I was an easy target for him. It only made matters worse that we lived together. I rarely ever caught a break. 

"Well, well if it isn't little miss Wednesday Adams." He said, blocking the narrow hallway as he leaned, his arm resting on the opposite side of the wall as his body rested on the other. He was much taller than I, and his brown hair fell in his face as he looked down to me. Nothing about his face seemed friendly. His fake kindness only seemed to show in the presence of others like my father or the teachers at our school. 

"That's the best you can come up with?" I retorted. I looked down at the one braid cascading down my shoulder and the black ripped jeans, and oversized black hoodie I was wearing. "He's not being very creative with his insults." I thought. 

I quickly realized that I should have just kept my mouth shut, remembering how easily angered he was by the littlest things. 

Almost without warning I was being propped up against the wall by my throat, my feet dangling a few inches from the ground. I lost my air supply as his large hand made its way tightly around my neck. Through the dots I saw the disdain piercing me with his eyes as he looked down at me.

"Please." I gasped out, trying and failing to push him away from me. I was helplessly grasping at his hands, desperatley trying to pry them off of my neck, but it was no use. 

It was only when the dots in my vision became blurred and my eyelids started becoming heavy did he let go of his grip, causing me to fall to the ground. 

I coughed, grasping for much needed air as he hovered over me. When I finally regained some of my composure I looked up to his still towering form. The anger in his face had shifted to something that I couldn't quite put my finger on. Regret? 

"Look, you should know by now not to do that sh*t. It irks me." He said, as I stared at him confused. 

"What was he talking about? I literally did nothing to provoke this." I thought, but it didn't take me long to realize what he was talking about. I talked back. He hated that. But I had every right to.