Chapter 12

***Iris***

***Iris***

We sat in silence as we drove for what felt like hours down the highway before I finally decided to speak up. 

"Where are we going?" I asked, watching as yet another green and white town sign passed us by. 

"Just for a drive. I've found that sometimes it's easier to talk when the mind is busy." I chuckled at his Shakespearean words.  

Another moment of quiet conversation passed. It was hard to go forth talking about anything, when words of forgiveness hung heavily on my tongue. 

"Look, I'm sorry about before. I just..." The words were cut off by my unknown explanation. 

"I just-I didn't see a point in it." The words visibly stung him as they came out of my mouth. "No, no that's not what I mean. I'm sorry. What I mean is I didn't see anything coming from it." I could tell that I was digging myself a deeper hole. "Come on, you know what I mean. You're like this crazy talented musician and what am I? I'm this nobody from a place where nobody knows." I had spent weeks on going over what I would say to Noah if I ever saw him again, and this is what I could come up with...

"What would have been the harm in one date?" He asked. I could tell that there was more that he wanted to say, but he cut himself off before he had got the chance. 

"I-I just. I didn't want a one-night stand. I've never been that girl" The truth came out before I could stop myself. 

With pause he parked the car on the side of the road, putting it in park before turning to look at me. I liked it much better when he was driving. I couldn't think clearly with him looking at me like that. 

"Is that what you thought it would have been? Just a meaningless one-night stand?" 

My eyebrows furrowed. "What else could it have been?" I asked. 

He leaned in close, close enough for his cool minty breath to hit my face. "How could we ever know if it was never given a chance." His eyes flicked to my lips, mine to his, but before anything was pushed further, we both turned away, looking out the side windows.