18 • hammer

a/n: there's a small detail in the first chapter mentioned specifically for the content of this one (: enjoy!

◦ ◦ ◦

ME:
you have a spare last
period right?

JEONGGUK STINKS:
yea why

ME:
meet me at the car

ME:
don't be seen

JEONGGUK STINKS:
well that's not ominous at all

JEONGGUK STINKS:
also don't you have literature last period?

JEONGGUK STINKS:
also pt. 2 change my name
on your phone

ME:
don't be seen

JEONGGUK IS STINKY:
fine

"So this is where I die."

Jeongguk gazes out the window at the passing scenery, watching as the crowded, teeming buildings and bustling streets slowly shift into quiet neighbourhoods filled with squat houses and picket fences.

He'd been fairly silent this the morning, seeming lost in thought. When I woke up, I found that he had done the dishes for me and even made breakfast for myself and the boys. I hadn't seen him at lunch, though in calculus I'd noticed that he'd been pouring over his biology textbook, fingers digging into his scalp. Gi hadn't seemed to notice how stressed he looked, babbling away in her typical bubbly, cheerful nature.

"I always thought I'd go out more heroically," Jeongguk muses, settling back into the passenger seat. "You know, like in an epic battle or something. Not by being kidnapped by a crappy driver."

"Oh, shut up," I scorn, eyes on the road ahead of me as I maneuver the cherry lexus down one of the many cookie cutter streets. "Don't be stupid, you're not going to—"

A small pothole makes the car dip, shocking my already fried nerves and causing me to swerve across the empty road, nearly clipping a mailbox.

I yank the wheel just in time, biting back a scream until we're finally righted in the proper lane.

Jeongguk and I are silent a beat.

"Okay," I breathe, "so maybe death isn't completely off the table."

"Wonderful."

We continue on until we reach the destination my mom sent me last night, right after we ended our call. The car climbs up the gravel path and into the construction littered parking of an abandoned house, taped off with construction tape and clearly in the middle of a demolition period.

I stop the car right as the GPS monotonly states "you have arrived at your destination."

Jeongguk and I exit the car. The ravenette scans the desolate surroundings while I move to the trunk, popping it and grabbing the chest of tools I picked up from my mom's office. I unclasp it to triple check that everything we need is there, only to come across a small, shiny pink device that I had been missing for months. I knew she had been the one to steal it.