04 • contract

a/n: hahaha what even is an update schedule eye-

◦ ◦ ◦

"I still can't believe you're going to live with him!" Nayeon croons, shaking her head in disbelief. "Is this some kind of joke?"

It's the Friday afternoon of the big game. The sun is blistering and beats down on the bleachers where Nayeon and I sit (against my will, may I add), watching our school's football team squeeze in the last few hours of practice before the big showdown. All day the student body was practically humming with excitement, collectively holding its breath in anticipation for tonight. It's a big night for our school and the team is under pressure to deliver.

Nayeon isn't a fan of football but she is a fan of the players. However, she was disappointed to find that our team was not, in fact, practising shirtless. Where I had seen this as the perfect excuse to leave (seeing the abs in question she had dragged me to see were not on display), she thought otherwise. Plopping me down anyway, she fell back on her second favourite topic as of recently: pestering me about Jeongguk.

"To be a joke it has to be funny," I mutter sourly, referencing my textbook before scribbling down my biology notes.

I had called Nayeon the second I got home Tuesday night and told her everything.

The drive home with my mom had been less than pleasant but the unavoidable blowout after the evening's events needed to happen.

After expressing my frustration at being left in the dark and having no hand in the decision she apologized, admitting it was wrong of her to go behind my back. Though I was still angry I forgave her, knowing that if I wanted to be treated as an adult in the future I had to act like one now.

Besides, it was hard to be mad when she bribed me with a triple scoop cone of double chocolate ice cream - my one true weakness.

Plus the fat check I was promised.

For the rest of the week I went about my last few days of freedom hanging with Nayeon, which consequently caused me to neglect my studies. So while she currently was trying to squeeze out more details about the whole living-at-Jeongguk's nightmare, I was reviewing the notes from my courses.

"You do realize literally any other girl in existence would kill to be in your position, right?" She blows a pink bubble before snapping her gum, fixing me with a pointed look. "Myself included."

I scowl down at my papers, jutting my lip and blowing a stray lock of hair from my face. "Then what's stopping you from finishing the job?"

"Because I'm here for the drama." She smirks and shifts her gaze out onto the field. "Tell me you don't think he's hot."

"Who?"

She rolls her eyes. "Jeongguk, you dolt."

The lie rolls off my tongue with ease. "I don't."

"Oh my gosh! Would you look at that!" Making a blatant point to look down at her wrist for a device that doesn't exist, she meets my gaze, features stretched in a comical look of disbelief. "My bullshit detector is going haywire! What in the world could it mean?"

"Probably that it's broken," I snort, returning to my books. "How tragic."

"Your lack of appreciation for the theatre is the real tragedy here." She waves me off. "No matter. There's no way you two are going to survive the three weeks without some sort of drama, and I'll be there every step of the way."