Chapter Three

I was on the losing side of trying to comfort my mom, I saw her sink in her sorrows each night and I had no idea of how to save her, she was more than a professional at handing me the Daises from her garden instead of the weeds that had outgrown and were slowly overshadowing her beautiful garden.

Each night, I got on my knees begging God to reach out to her heart and each night I heard her scream in the silence.  Each night I met with the haunting sound of her anguish. The fear of disturbing her prevents me from knocking on her door, even though I can see her pain through the keyhole, her tear-streaked face with her hands tightly gripping the bedsheets, I had no idea what to do to stop her silent screams from echoing.

In moments of despair, I  join my mother in tears, sitting on the floor and silently hoping for her healing. The weight of my guilt and regret starts to consume me, as I  wonder if things could have been different had I kept my mouth shut Maybe I wouldn’t have had to watch her drown in her tears but I have to let that ship sink.

I slowly stood up from the floor and went back to my room like always and covered my head with a pillow.

Anna's note kept me awake too, what rumors was she referring to? My heart raced at the thought of it, the guilty are always afraid they say and who knows what word is out there about me.

Thank heavens, Elijah's mother is now catering for my transportation,  that's one of our worries sorted out but where to get the daily bread is a question to whose answer we have not yet.

Morning dawned and after a long time I saw my mom's cheerful face again, we swept the house together as usual, and for someone who I saw crying last night, she sang her heart out to Pharrell's happy.

My smile widened and I felt the need to ask her what the good news is, she smiled back at me and said, "The new neighbor offered me a job to be their maid, isn't that a good thing?"

With mixed emotions,  I replied "Yes It is " but at the back of my mind I didn't know whether it was a good thing, I know our lives took a hard left but does she have to work as a maid, ain't there any other options? , my brain suddenly hit me with the, "You know she has no professional qualifications. "

" your pick-up is here ", she reminded me and I quickly rushed to get my bag, I sat at the back with Elijah as usual and he could see the track of tears on my face, he gracefully asked," Is everything alright ". I nodded in agreement but when he touched my hand The floodgate to my tears was opened.

Mrs. Chanda turned her head and questioned me, "Child is everything okay? ". Knowing exactly how to lie I quickly said," It's only a headache but have already taken a painkiller and I will be fine ".

She dropped us off at school and only a few meters from the gate, we were greeted by the head girl Priscilla, it seemed as if she was waiting for us. She signaled Elijah to get to class, took my hand, and demanded  "May I have a word with you?".