⭬ Chapter II

༺ T H E L E T T E R ༻

-------------------------

Being asked over for tea was one thing, but having to be a hostess was an entirely different order. Clara had never experienced such stress and chaos as that of her household staff running to and fro, trying to get ready in time. Questions and requests were thrown left and right and by the end of it, Clara was not sure whether it was her or the housekeeper who was hosting.

But everything came together perfectly as it could, she only hoped it would be to the other ladies' liking. And they seemed to enjoy it, all chatting and laughing, sipping their tea daintily and nibbling at the assortment of baked goods and desserts.

"I heard that Thomas Laurence is going to propose to Mary Stanton!" Said one of the girls. "I say it is about time, they have only been courting for four years now."

"I've never really liked the idea of them together, there is something not quite right about that girl," whispered another.

Clara held back a sigh. These were the same women that had gossiped about her on the day of James' promotion ceremony and now she was dining with them, why was everything in the world completely backwards?

"There is something off about Miss Stanton, too closed off for my liking."

You mean she likes her business to stay . . . personal? Clara fought the urge to roll her eyes as she thought to herself.

"Perhaps, she is just shy," muttered another, this girl, like herself, was new to the social circle.

The girls let out a dry laugh. "Oh please, if only! Just wait until you see her at a party, a complete coquette, no propriety whatsoever."

Clara's last thread snapped, she was done with them all. "Well, you are not exactly innocent either, are you, Loretta?" She placed her cup down and sat back in her chair. "As a maid, I was able to hear to everything, see everything. I know of the thing you, and others, have done. None of us here are innocent - except for maybe Amelia." She glanced at the young girl, a soft smile on her lips.

The horror on Loretta's face was rather amusing to Clara, she knew she hit a weak spot, but she barely had even started. However, she felt it best to keep the knowledge she had at bay, she will use it another time.

"I never!" Loretta threw her handkerchief down onto the table and stood from her spot, all eyes on her. "The nerve of some people . . . There is no need to walk me out, you have already been gracious enough, thank you, Clara!"

The haughty woman was halfway out of the room when a knock came from the front door. Valeria, the head maid, rushed out of the room but was stopped by Clara, saying she will answer it.

She slipped passed Loretta, both women giving each other hideous glances before she reached the door's handle. Clara blinked a few times, the sun bright and shining directly in her eyes, catching her off guard.