⭬ Chapter VIII

༺ T H E D E A L ༻

-------------------------

As Tia Dalma had said, Catalina knew where to go and steered them to the group of small islands even through a tempest. A few miles before them, was a shipwreck that Will surveyed before voicing his disbelief that that was the Flying Dutchman.

"In a way," Cata shouted over the wind, handing the wheel off and coming to stand with Jack and Gibbs.

"She doesn't look like much."

"Neither do you," Jack said. "Do not underestimate her."

"Must have run afoul of the reef," Gibbs noticed.

Jack ignored his second-in-command. "So, what's your plan, then?"

"I row over, search the ship until I find your bloody key."

"And if there are crewmen?"

"I cut down anyone in my path." Before Cata got the chance to warn Will, he walked away.

"I like it. Simple, easy to remember." He then followed Will, shouting down to him as he climbed the side of the ship. "If you do happen to get captured, just say Jack Sparrow sent you to settle his debt. It might save your life."

"Bon Voyage!" Ragetti called as Will began to row off.

"Douse the lamps," Jack said to Pintel and the crew rushed to complete his order, leaving the pirate alone with Cata.

"I can't believe you. I should have went with him."

"And what? Face death?"

"I'd rather die with that boy by my side than live another ten years stuck on a boat with the likes of you." She pushed herself off the handrail, but Jack grabbed her wrist, keeping her by his side.

"Cata, don't be cross with me. I had no other choice."

"You had every choice. But now your faults have caught up with you, Jack." She closed the gap between them, their noses almost touching, and her voice dropped to a deadly whisper. "And, in the end, you will be alone. I loved you, I can't wait to see who loves you when death comes to collect." Leaving Jack with a chill in his bones, she went back to the wheel.

Jack knew of his wrongdoings. He knew he could have saved Catalina, but instead, he kept to the code and left her to face Norrington and his men alone. Funny how the rule Cata broke to save him, would bring them closer only to rip them apart.

Feeling hollow, Jack numbed the feeling by training his thoughts on the young Turner. From his coat, he pulled out his spyglass and aimed it at the Flying Dutchman. Upon the deck was Will, Davy Jones and his crew. The ugly pirate looked over to his ship and Jack's heart raced. He lowered his glass to find Jones standing before him. His crew rounded up Jack's own men . . . and woman, brandishing their weapons.

"Ah! Ew . . ." Jack glanced around the ship, the odd crewmen sending shivers up his spine. One of the men lifted his sword higher, nipping Cata's neck. "Uh, please, no, please be careful with her."

The captain did not respond and instead went straight to threatening Jack. "You have a debt to pay. You've been captain of the Black Pearl for 13 years. That was our agreement."

"Technically, I was only captain for two years, then I was mutinied upon."

"Then you were a poor captain, but a captain nonetheless. Have you not introduced yourself all these years as Captain Jack Sparrow?" As he walked around Jack to his crew, they laughed.

"You have my payment. One soul to serve on your ship. He's already out there."

Such a reveal made Catalina angry, but not surprised. Such was the way of Jack.

"One soul is not equal to another."

"Aha! We've established my proposal is sound in principle. Now we're haggling over price. Just how many souls do you think my soul is worth?

"One hundred souls. Three days."

"You're a diamond, mate. Send me back the boy. I'll get started right off."

"I keep the boy. A good-faith payment. That leaves you only 99 more to go."

"Have you not met Will Turner? He's noble, heroic, a terrific soprano. Worth at least four. Maybe three and a half. And did I happen to mention . . . he's in love? With a girl. Due to be married. Betrothed. Dividing him from her and her from him would only be half as cruel as actually allowing them to be joined in holy matrimony. Aye?"

"I keep the boy. Ninety-nine souls. But I wonder, Sparrow, can you live with this? With her around?" He pointed to Catalina, smirking. "Can you condemn an innocent man, a friend, to a lifetime of servitude in your name while you roam free with your own bonnie lass?"

He glanced over to Catalina, who struggled against the odd fish man. After taking a moment to think, a smile formed on Jack's face. "Yep. I'm good with it. Our love died long ago, it's just me, Jones. Shall we seal it in blood? I mean . . . ink."

Jones ruffly snatched Jack's hand, a slimy tentacle wrapping around it. "Three days." As he turned, his men let their captives free, the one holding onto Cata, throwing her on the deck.

The woman landed on her knees and gasped for air, scowling at Jones and then to Jack, who called over Mr Gibbs only to wipe the slim off his hand. Marty came over and helped Cata up, she gasped Pintel's shoulder. "We are not going to Tortuga."

"Unfortunately for you, Miss Montero, you are not captain nor second mate this voyage," Jack snapped. "But you do know these waters, so you will bring us to Tortuga where you can take your leave of us."

"Fine, at least my conscience will be clear, Captain."

-------------------------

Above deck on the merchant ship, the captain and a few of his men came running. They stopped abruptly and stared at the floating dress of the Elizabeth. It pointed at them and then the ocean, fear growing in the men's eyes.

"She's trying to give us a sign," said the Captain.

The dress swept overhead and they followed from one side of the ship to the other. A lit lamp fell over in the process, setting flame to part of the floor.

"Over there! Look for a sign!" Oblivious to what was happening below their feet, the crew stumbled past the fire.

Above them in the rigging, Elizabeth rolled her eyes and huffed, why were men so stupid? Beside her, Clara held up a hand and she steadily climbed down to sit on the windlass. "What's that over there?" she called in a slightly deeper voice.

She caught the men's attention and they turned to look. They stared in amazement at what the flames had written: Tortuga.

"I think we found our sign," said one of the crewmen weakly.

Clara looked up at Elizabeth who still hung in the rigging. She smiled and winked, they had their heading.

-------------------------