⭬ Chapter XII

༺ T H E K R A K E N ༻

-------------------------

"Where's Clara and the Commodore?" Mr Gibbs asked Jack over the noise of the crew.

"Fell behind," was all he said.

"My prayers be with them."

"Don't fret too much, Mr Gibbs," Cata said, placing a hand on the older man's shoulder. "Clara and Norrington are more than capable of warding off Jones' men."

"Yes. Well, the side is you two are back and made it off free and clear." As if Gibbs had summoned the devil himself, the Flying Dutchman erupted from the sea, spraying water every which way.

"Wonderful choice of last words, Mr Gibbs," Cata remarked sarcastically.

Knowing he'd regret such words, Gibbs decided on something different. "Lord on high, deliver us," he muttered as he signed the cross.

"I'll handle this, mate," said Jack. He stepped up to the edge of the ship and heaved the jar of sand over his head. "Oi, fish face! Lose something? Eh? Scungilli!"

Catalina sighed and pinched the bridge of her nose, she should have known he'd draw attention to himself. There was a shout from Jack and she looked up in time to see him fall down the stairs.

From the deck, Jack held up the jar, showing everyone that it was safe. "Got it!" He stood up and walked down the length of the ship, continuing his taunting. "Come to negotiate, eh, have you, you slimy git? Look what I got. I got a jar of dirt, I got a jar of dirt and guess what's inside it?"

Jack's smile was quickly wiped away when Jones turned to his crew and the Canon doors slid open, revealing the deadly weapons. "Hard to starboard," squeaked Jack.

"Hard to starboard!" Elizabeth shouted to the men.

"Brace up the foreyard!" Will commanded.

Cata was about to take up the wheel but found that Gibbs had taken charge of it. Glancing around at the chaos of the crew rushing to their positions, Cata felt out of place. She had been gone for so long that she no longer knew what to do.

Jones started to fire his canons at them. One flew too close, hitting a lamp and making Catalina duck.

Still holding on to the jar, Jack joined them, only to take over steering.

"She's falling behind!" Yelled Elizabeth as she and Will sprinted up the steps.

"Aye. We've got her! " Mr Gibbs responded.

"Cata darling." The young woman turned to find Jack smirking down at her. He glanced at the wheel and then took a step backwards. "I believe this is where you thrive."

Not one to revoke such an invitation, Cata went to Jack and took his spot. Without hesitation, she turned the wheel slightly to the right and the sails caught the wind, the vessel picking up speed.