EPILOGUE

༺ A N E W D I R E C T I O N ༻

༺ A  N E W  D I R E C T I O N ༻

-------------------------

Night had fallen when the crew arrived at Tia Dalma's. But a surprise was waiting for them. Hundreds of people all scared along the river bed, watched in silence as they passed. They all held a glowing candle, lighting their way through the bayou. The native people were morning Jack, and Catalina felt a bittersweet ache in her heart.

Now, the crew sat in Tia's house. Cata sat at a table with Will, watching him throw his dagger into the table repeatedly. The thud from the weapon was the only sound heard until Tia came back, carrying a tray of drinks. She came to Cata first and she reached for one of the mugs, only for Tia to step back.

"That one will be no good for you. Here, I made you a special tea." She handed a small glass to her friend with a small smile.

Will's dagger pieced the table again.

Cata took the tea with gratefulness and sipped it as Tia continued to talk to her. "Against the cold and sorrow. And for the child."

The dagger thudded once more.

The young woman stopped in her tracks and brought the mug down, placing it on the table. She felt hollow from the reminder of what could have been.

Tia Dalma did not notice and proceeded to go to Will. She bent down so she was at eye level, but he refused to look at her. "It's a shame. I know you're thinking that with the Pearl you could have captured the devil and set free your father's soul."

He finally acknowledged her but only to take a drink. "It doesn't matter now. The Pearl is gone, along with its captain." He threw the weapon a third time.

"Aye," said Mr Gibbs. "And already the world seems a bit less bright. He fooled us all right till the end. But I guess that honest streak finally won out." He held up his cup and looked at each person, lingering on Cata. "To Jack Sparrow."

"Never another like Captain Jack," said Ragetti.

With tears, Pintel raised his cup higher. "He was a gentleman of fortune, he was."

"He was a good man," Elizabeth replied.

All raised their glass and took a sip in remembrance of their fallen captain, friend . . . lover. Over the table, Will glanced at Catalina, his gaze full of grief and empathy. She stared into her mug, letting a tear fall into her tea before wiping it away.

"If there was anything could be done to bring him back . . . Cata . . ."

"Would you do it?" Tia asked, interrupting the young man. "Hmm? What would you do? Hmm?" she said to Cata. "What would any of you be willing to do? Would you sail around to the end of the earth, and beyond, to fetch back witty Jack and him precious Pearl?"

"Aye," said Mr Gibbs, nodding.

Pintel, Ragetti, and Mr Cotton's parrot said the same.

Tia Dalma turned to Elizabeth.

"Yes."

Will quickly nodded and whispered: "Aye."

And that was how Cata knew that those who survived to tell the tale of Jack Sparrow did care for him. For once in her life, Cata allowed herself a glimmer of hope.

Tia looked to Catalina, a grin on her face. "I don't need to ask you for he is your world. But if you're goin' brave the weird, and haunted shores, at world's end, then . . . you will need a captain who knows those waters." She then turned to the staircase beside them. The sound of heavy footsteps was heard, and the crew moved so they could see who it was. The person came around the bannister and smirked at the crew.

A wide-brimmed captain's hat shielded their face until they looked up, and Cata stifled a gasp. None other than Captain Hector Barbosa stood before them, alive and well.

"So tell me, what's become of my ship?"

-------------------------