⭬ Chapter VI

༺ T H E I S L A N D ༻

-------------------------

Will had, in his own words, found Jack quite easily. It was the situation he had gotten him and his crew in that was the difficult part. Jack had managed to convince a tribe of cannibals that he was their god and in keeping up appearances, the pirate had ignored every single plea. The only thing he uttered was a whispered 'Save me' as the villagers took Will away. Now, he was stuck in a cage, hanging in the middle of a large ravine with what remained of Jack's crew.

"Why would he do this to us?" Will asked Gibbs. "If Jack is the chief-"

"Aye, the Pelegostos made Jack their chief, but he only remains chief as long as he acts like a chief."

"So he had no choice. He's a captive as much as the rest of us."

"Worse, as it turns out. See, the Pelegostos believe that Jack is a god in human form, and they intend to do him the honour of releasing him from his fleshy prison." Just behind Gibbs, Mr Cotton leaned in closer and violently grabbed Gibbs' hand, biting hard on his fingers. With a yelp, Mr Gibbs ripped his hand away and held onto the cage for support once more. "They'll roast him and eat him."

"Where's the rest of the crew?"

"These cages we're in weren't built till after we got here."

Will stepped back, staring at the bones in understanding.

But Gibbs ignored the young man's discomfort. "The feast is about to begin. Jack's life will end when the drums stop."

"Well, we can't just sit here and wait, then, can we?"

So, with nothing else to lose, save their own lives, the drew hurled themselves at the canon wall. After many failings, they finally took hold of large vines, proving to be the best anchor. After one man voiced it would take only six men to crew the Black Pearl a rivalry ensued between the two cages.

On the bridge above them, a boy crossed, but that did not stop them. Slowly and quietly, the crew crept up the side of the cliff. Until, the man who voiced that fact about the crew grabbed a snake and yelled, catching the boy's attention and making them fall down the ravine. Without hesitation, the boy ran back to his village and Will ordered the remaining men to move.

The natives had found them but by sheer luck, the pirates evaded them, rolling down hills and into the dense jungle below, all the way into a river where they broke free of the cage. The pelegostos had them cornered until the boy came back, calling the village to chase Jack down.

"Haul in the morning line!" Yelled Pintel as the crew came upon the Black Pearl.

"He got me eye. He won't give it back," Ragetti shouted back, peering over the handrail.