Chapter six- The grey stuff

"So, now that you are both here I want an explanation, and more importantly the truth." I sit down on my bed, crossing one leg over the other leaving my tail to dangle loosely off the bed. "But what I really want to know is, if you are okay. You weren't forced to come here right? Is Yukio alright? Did Lucifer fulfill his promise, did two-thirds really get released? How did Kuro handle me being gone? Is there a new paladin? You have been getting enough sleep right Bon?"

"Calm down. And just ask one question at a time," Bon said, as he sat on the floor slouching forward.

Paku laughed to herself, as she stood near the foot of my bed. No matter how many times I offered, she refused to sit for some reason.

It's not the best place for a covert meeting, but after Lucifer excused us I needed a place to question Bon and Paku. After my little stunt, I didn't feel comfortable asking for a private meeting room, on top of that there are likely microphones in those rooms, so no matter how private all conversations would still be recorded.

To my knowledge, there aren't any cameras or microphones in this room, and if there are they won't be able to pick up any good sound or visuals. The only useful spell Mephisto managed to teach me helps to disguise conversation, using a thin wall of flames to muffle the sound.

I still don't understand the science even after Yukio tried to describe it, but what matters is that as we speak now, no one outside this room can hear a single word we are saying. Even the chart outside is putting out false results, I took the vital-reading bracelet off a long time ago, and now the chart is stimulated by a constant flow of power. I'm sure someone is bound to notice that it's always the same, but until then I should be safe.

In the end, this is the safest place for me to have any important conversation.

"Okay, well first thing first; how has everything been since I left?"

Bon and Paku look at each other with a mix of pained expressions.

"The good news is that more than two-thirds were returned. I can't say for certain how everyone else has been but I know for sure that I have been tired. The order was quick to put everyone they could to work, even the volunteers like me were stuck pulling six-hour shifts just to keep up." Paku said with a forced smile.

"It hasn't been much easier for us exorcists either. We have been busy, so I haven't really been able to see Yukio but he seems to be in good health. We had lunch the other day, and he also seems tired." Bon said rubbing the back of his head. "Actually, If I remember correctly I'm here because of that lunch. It's a long story, but the short version is that we were all told the truth by Paku."

"Well, we have time to waste. Besides, I am in need of context."

Bon's brow's raised and he blinked a few times, trying to sort out his thoughts in his head.

"If you don't mind. I think I would be best to tell this story." Paku interjected. "Please correct me if I get something wrong."

"Sure, go ahead," Bon replied.

"It all started months ago when I was working on a project with one of Shiemi's handmaidens. She made an odd comment, nothing that would have been odd for the time but for some reason, it got me thinking. I don't remember exactly what she said but it was something along the lines of

'I hope his end will stop the war.'

When she said it was especially odd, it was after we got the news that you had returned from a mission successfully. Normally I would have brushed it off, but this handmaiden was so genuine and kind, never would I have thought she had any ill will toward you, especially considering she worked for Shiemi.