Chapter Seven- Gaston

When I wake up, I get excited for a moment. Finally free from the suffocating feeling, I take a breath in and feel it shift in my torso.

It's still there, muffled and blurred but I can still feel it.

I throw my sheets off me and push myself to get dressed and ready for the day. I don't have any plans but it's better to keep myself occupied than to try and ponder what these feelings are.

If It doesn't feel like it, yesterday was a very good day. I got to learn about Yukio and what he has been doing. I didn't get any updates on Kuro, but I bet he is doing well. I know Yukio is taking good care of him.

My friends are being kept out of the war, or at least most of them are. Everyone is surviving without me. But that's fine, as long as they are safe and living well. Of course, they are busy and could live to have a bit more fun, and maybe once I start my own organization they can get some peace of mind...

Everyone but Shiemi. I'm not sure there is anyone who could take the position if she left. I'm not even sure if she could leave.

Do I even want her to leave the order? She signed off on my death, I should hate her, after all, she seemed fine with killing me. If I was nothing more than a pest to be killed then why should it matter to me if she joins me? But of course, it's not that easy. Shiemi could have been forced or tricked into signing it. Maybe she's part of the underground movement that helped Paku! Maybe that's who Yukio went to see!

But if that's the case then how is she supposed to get out? The Grigori are one of the most guarded stations in the order. On top of that, they are highly controversial figures in this war, if Sheimi were to join my side it would appear that I was choosing sides.

Maybe she shouldn't join us. After all, she will be safe in the order and they can keep her safe. If Lucifer does win and he abolishes the order then I can find a way to protect her then, but until that day I should focus on everyone else who isn't so protected.

Bon and Izumo are nearly ready when I knock on their doors. They seem surprised to see me so early. According to the clocks in their rooms, it's only five-thirty in the morning. They at least have the excuse of jet lag, all I have is the stupid excuse of emotions.

We take our time walking to the dining hall, the ship sounds weirdly quiet. From four to six in the morning everything is dead, the night shifts of most menial tasks are done by four, but researchers, pilots, cooks, mot other trained professionals work during the entire night. Of course, movie theaters and other forms of entertainment are closed, so that does dim the noise.

I figure it's a difference in the type of people working. Everyone on the night shift is dedicated and would rather focus on the task at hand than be lost in conversation.

When we arrive at the dining hall we are surprised to see a few people there before us, sitting at the tables with books or taking a nap before breakfast is served. I let Bon and Paku pick our table while I walk up to the serving line.

Just then the platters of food are brought out, and one of the cooks seems shocked to see me nearly dropping his tray. He looked young, and judging by his dumbfounded surprise he was probably an intern. Most of the chefs and servers recognize me by now, but I don't recall ever seeing him before.

I chuckle to myself, what a way to meet the famed Nephilim; exhausted after a long shift at six in the morning.

He sets the batch of food in its slot and I walk over to introduce myself. He freezes as I approach watching me with a strange sense of awe.

"So, is it your first day here?"

"O-oh me? No. I have been here for a week now." He took a step back. "It's just my first day putting the food out."