the siege of the castle

The sooner this conflict ends the better.

I wish I could say it took them another month to find what they needed. I wish I could say it took them even three weeks to find what they needed. But the two weeks... No. The thirteen days they did take felt like nothing.

I was busy most of the time, trying to coordinate with my followers and sort out who needed to be where and when. When I wasn't arranging endless amounts of details, I was sleeping, eating, or talking with Kuro or my friends. When there was enough time to pause during my busy schedule I had to avoid Iblis who decided to start poking around my business.

Lucifer had told everyone a cover story that we had made an arrangement for more information to be exchanged. That was enough to put an end to most rumors, but it only made Iblis more curious about what I was doing. She took every chance she was given to sneak her way into a secret conversation or peer into my room.

As a result, Lucifer and I became more distant, well because of that and the fact that everything got busy for everyone. With progress on the hosts increasing so rapidly, many preparations needed to be made. No one seemed to get a break, not even Arthur.

I tried to visit him when I could, but between constant questions from Iblis and the researchers, it was almost guaranteed that my attempts would fail. From the small glances I was able to get of him, he seemed fine, good even. He was starting to eat solid food and was dressed in something other than a medical gown. His hair looked well-brushed and stupidly silky. At times, with a quick blink or out of the corner of my eye, I almost mistook him for a demon. Nonetheless, he seemed, happy and healthy.

I saw him the most when he went for walks around the research center, of course, he was always followed by guards and had some sort of chain attached to him, but getting to wander around and walk about did seem to lift his spirits.

At least it did, until yesterday. The reality that this was the last day of his independent control over his body seemed to sink in. I think it the truth had settled in for all of us at that time. Iblis stopped visiting me, and Shima returned from whatever mission he was on, Bon and Paku visited my organization. All bags were packed and everything was in place.

Then the announcement came over the speakers.

'All personnel please report to the theatre immediately.'

I figured that I wasn't invited, and I hoped that Arthur wasn't either.

I waited for all the researchers to evacuate before I ventured out and found him. Much to my dismay he wasn't in his old cell, or any new one. He wasn't in the research wing at all. The researchers had taken him along to the theatre.

With a sigh, I started weaving my way through the halls trying to locate the theatre that everyone had piled into. It was rather easy to find everyone, all gathered in the many seats in that large dark room, facing the stage.

I heard the faint echos of the congregation's voice.

"We will guide the world to unity. There are no demons and no humans. Only one world. In order to create it, we are the brave warriors who have risen to the occasion." Speaking in tandem, it was a sea of voices all speaking the same spine-shuddering words.

The idea was nice, but the message was grim. No humans and no demons, only one world. It foretold of mass destruction, the death of thousands of humans and demons alike. A catastrophic and world-ending event.

I couldn't help but shudder as I watched on from the shadows. These people had no idea what they were saying, yet they said it with such brazen confidence.

"No matter what the trial, we do not go astray. We do not fear death."

"You may all be seated." With those few words, everyone sat, revealing the large stage, with a screen posted above showing Lucifer at the center, with guards posted at his side. To his right was Homare, and at his left were Iblis and Eygn.