Chapter ten- Lefou

I was back at the apartment, finally getting the chance to do a deep clean when Mephisto decided to enter without warning. Normally this wouldn't have bothered me as much as it did today.

This was the first day, in what felt like weeks that I was finally able to relax, and even then I wasn't relaxing. Instead, I spent this one day, taking out every item that once belonged to Rin and sorting what I needed to throw out and what I could keep. It was already bad enough that I missed him, but I happened to recall each and every item that he kept around. Even the most innocuous box seemed to have a memory of him tied into it.

Kuro tried his best to help, but between his cat-like behavior and lack of opposable thumbs, he only got in the way. While annoying, he made this experience easier by coming over and comforting me when things started to get hard.

But then the worst thing seemed to happen at once when Mephisto arrived and decided to start picking apart the cleanliness of the apartment as if he didn't understand what a deep clean was. For someone so patient it was bizarre that he so miserably failed to trust the process.

I tried to ignore him while I cleaned, but he just kept going on and on about some stupid product he was selling.

"Can't you ever shut up?" I let my anger get the best of me, throwing the box I was sorting through to the side.

My careless actions led to the box slamming into the wall, and my heart dropped as I heard ceramics shatter.

I rushed over to the box, opening it to inspect the contents. It was the first plate set Rin had bought that wasn't made from some cheap plastic. I was there when he bought it with his first paycheck as the paladin. He had such a happy look on his face and seemed to be proud to have such a simple thing. He won't stop going on about how he thought it made the food taste better, he claimed he could notice the difference as soon as he started using them.

Now the plates were shattered, useless to me, and belonging in the trash.

"You really should be more careful with fragile things," Mephisto muttered over my shoulder, close enough that I could feel the shadow he cast over me.

"What the hell do you want?" I swung around to face him. I wasn't in the mood to keep him around.

"There have been some important developments regarding your brother," He smiled walking over to one of the chairs stationed in the living room and sitting down. Kuro lept up onto the arm, tails flowing as he clung to what Mephisto had to say next.

I stared at him, waiting for him to continue but he stayed silent motioning for me to sit down.

"I'm fine where I am." I pick up the box and put it on the countertop.

"It's only proper that you join me over here to talk."

"I'm the one who commands you, don't forget that." I start picking out pieces of the broken ceramics when suddenly the dishes appear outside the box, fully fixed with no signs of cracks or damages.

"Please forgive my earlier irritation. I simply wish to make you comfortable before I inform you of this news." He stays seated as he speaks, playing with Kuro who crawls into his lap.

"Fine." I march over and sit down. "Speak."

"Wonderful," he clasps his hands together. "Now the first order of business is that Rin has expressed his intention to form an organization of his own and he will be meeting with representatives rather soon."

As to be expected. I have been impressed with how well Rin has been holding up, so far he has been able to get a lot of things done. It seems like he's finally learned how to play the long game, it's strange to think that not so long ago he would rush into things without so much as a second thought.