Chapter 1

Let's be very clear about one thing. If you found this video, run. Don't stop until you've reached Arcadia Oaks. It's safe there. People can help you, we can explain everything.

But whatever you do, don't stop running. Because once you've realized what you are, they'll come for you. And they won't stop until you're dead.

We can't explain it all right now. It's too dangerous. But find us. We can protect you. Prepare you for what's about to come.

***

Douxie was up before Carter. That wasn't unusual for them, Carter wasn't much of a morning person. Usually, Douxie would stay in bed for a little longer, scrolling on his phone while Carter still slept, cuddled up against him.

But this morning, Douxie got out of bed pretty much as soon as he woke up. He went to the newly installed kitchen (a feature put in because nobody wanted to make the long trek down the winding stone stairs to the original kitchen of the castle just for some eggs and bacon. Also, it didn't even have a proper stove.) Douxie went about quietly starting the coffee machine, knowing that when everyone else woke up, it would be "coffee before talkee".

Yes, that was a Steve coined term.

But as the wizard sat on the kitchen counter, scrolling through his phone while bacon sizzled on the stove, footsteps approaching caught his attention. He glanced up, immediately smiling when his fiancé walked in, still bleary-eyed and in his pajamas. Well, Douxie's pajamas. The sleeves were too long, bunching around his wrists, and the sweatpants were definitely a tripping hazard. Douxie thought he looked incredibly cute.

"Well, goodmorning, Sunshine." He greeted as Carter settled himself between Douxie's legs and rested his head on his chest. "It's a bit early for you."

"I was lonely," Carter mumbled, burrowing his face into Douxie's chest. "You're warm."

Douxie chuckled, placing a tender kiss to his temple. He wrapped his arms around Carter, pulling him closer. "Still half-asleep, I take it?"

Carter grumbled something Douxie couldn't make out, barely moving from his place against the wizard. After a moment, Carter placed his chin on Douxie's sternum, staring up at him with a sleepy gaze. Douxie gazed lovingly into his deep brown eyes, admiring the flecks of gold and amber that always seemed to shift, that always seemed to be sprinkled in different places every time he looked. He gently brushed Carter's bangs out of his face, tucking his hair behind his ear. His fingers brushed against the edge of his hearing aid, but Carter hardly paid attention to that.

"You're very pretty," Douxie said after a beat. Warmth bloomed in his chest when Carter's lips pulled into a smile at the compliment. He traced the dash of freckles over the bridge of his nose and cheeks, barely grazing the pale scar there from a battle fought so long ago. He couldn't even remember where Carter had gotten that one from.

Carter leaned into his touch, eyes closing for just a second. When he opened them, he'd lifted his head to properly look at Douxie. He gently grabbed his hand, brushing a tender kiss to his knuckles. "Pot, kettle," he murmured with a slight smile, still settled between the wizard's legs.

Douxie forgot what it was like to breathe. It didn't matter how long they'd been together. How long they'd been flirting like this. Every time Carter did this to him, it was as if all the air had been punched from Douxie's lungs. And he loved it.

"Was there something you wanted, love?" Douxie asked while he still could, knowing Carter had the ability to leave him speechless just as well as breathless.