Chapter 11

Jim let go of Carter's shoulder as soon as Douxie came in their direction. He smiled at the hug the wizard gave the half-blood. It was tight and protective. Jim's smile fell a little when he saw the still remaining scars burned into Douxie's skin.

"I'm okay," Carter whispered, arms curled tightly around Douxie's shoulders, holding him close. "I'm alright, baby. It's okay."

Douxie muttered something incomprehensible to Jim's ears, squeezing his fiancé tighter. Jim turned away, facing the rest of the group. His stomach dropped when he saw Harley swaying unsteadily, eyes hazy and unfocused.

"Har—"

The boy collapsed to his knees and immediately started retching into the frozen grass. Claire rushed to him, holding him by the shoulders as he shook violently.

Krel made a barely contained noise of disgust. "I thought this part was over."

"Krel!" Claire hissed, glaring at him. "Your sarcasm is unneeded!"

"What happened?" Jim asked quickly, watching in concern.

"I'm not sure," Claire said with pursed lips, holding Harley to her when he ceased vomiting. "I think it might be some sort of magic backlash. When the next wave of monsters broke through the portal—"

"Portal?" Aja demanded. "What portal?"

"The portal under the monster donut." Claire said firmly, rubbing Harley's shoulder. "The one letting them all through to Arcadia. I destroyed it but... whatever happened, whatever retribution by the person who conjured it targeted Harley."

Olivia pushed past Steve, kneeling next to Harley on the ground. She brought her hands up to his temples, her fingers and palms swirling with honey-colored light. "He's exhausted, but he'll be okay." She gave the boy a smile, affectionately patting his cheek. "How do you feel now?"

Harley groaned incoherently, shutting his eyes and leaning his head on Claire's shoulder. "Bleh."

Olivia's lips quirked upward. "Give it a couple of minutes, it'll kick in soon." She stood, brushing her hands off. "Anyone else need my help?"

Steve raised his hand, blood still dripping off his nose from the gash in his forehead. "Please magic healing girl. I would love your assistance."

Jim took Olivia's place next to Harley, patting his shoulder. He looked up at Claire. "What did you mean by retribution?"

Claire pursed her lips, her fingers gently carding through Harley's sweat-soaked bangs. Jim remembered this side of her, the overprotective older sister. She'd acted just like this when Enrique had gotten the flu. "I could tell someone had consciously and purposefully opened a portal to Arcadia from somewhere else. A place that wasn't... on the mortal plane."

Jim let that sink in. "So... what does that mean?"

"It means someone is trying to stop us from stopping them. Possibly this is the same person who is necromancing souls."

"Shit," Jim sighed, pinching the bridge of his nose. "There goes the element of surprise."

"Not sure we had that to begin with," Claire admitted. "But Jim... if we leave, who's going to protect Arcadia?"

Jim's heart stopped. He hadn't considered that. "Shit."

"What if we split up?" Laura suggested, walking closer. "One group stays here, and the other continues on to the Sea of Monsters."

"That sounds like a bad idea," Toby said nervously. "I thought we were all meant to go."

"The wording on that shitty piece of paper is up to interpretation." Aanya said.