Chapter 12

Carter was sitting on the deck behind Steve, eyes closed as the ship rocked back and forth over the waves. His leg and hand ached, still stiff from the snow hours later. He wasn't sure how long they'd been sailing for. Long enough for everyone to get really bored, at least.

"This map might be a bit outdated." Douxie said, returning to the wheel. Carter opened his eyes, watching them with vague interest. "But where we're going, time is nonsense bullshit, so it may not even matter."

"Um..." Harley sounded very concerned. "What does that mean?"

"The Monstrorum Mare is a place where time itself can stand still. You could enter it at one place in time, and as you go through be rocketed into the past. Or even the future."

"What about when we leave?" Steve asked.

"Thankfully, the magic wears off as you're exiting the Triangle. It's only when you're inside it that it messes with... everything." Douxie was crouched on the deck, spreading a very old and weathered map out on the wood floor. "So, Harley, are we going the right way?"

Harley consulted the compass, then nodded. "Yep."

"Excellent." Douxie traced his finger down a line on the map, scouring the paper. "Now that we have a proper heading I can loose the sails some, let her gain a bit of speed." Douxie looked right at him, brows furrowing and expression twisting with concern. "Uh... Steve," he stood, putting a hand on the blond's shoulder. "If I go below deck for a while, will you be okay up here?"

Steve looked between them, then nodded firmly. "Yeah, I've got it. It's like riding a bike."

"Good." Douxie nodded. "Just keep going this way and we'll be good. Harley will help you stay the course." He waved his hand and the sails unfurled further with a bit of blue light flaring from the canvas sails. He turned to Carter, beckoning him to follow.

Carter sighed, but struggled to his feet, taking Douxie's hand as they went down the stairs to the main deck, then turned left into the captain's quarters. He'd only been on the Pearl a handful of times. And admittedly, none of those times were for serious matters like this. Even more admittedly all of those times were purely for his own sexual curiosity. He thought pirate Douxie was hot, sue him.

Douxie shut the door and started kicking old crap to the side, moving a chair back in its place by the table. He watched his wizard kneel next to a chest, rummaging through it for gods know what.

Carter pulled himself onto the table in the corner of the room, shoving aside old maps and books. He picked up a knife that was rusted in blood, twisting it between his fingers. "You seem more helicopter-y today than usual."

Douxie paused, looking at him with that odd little expression set in his face again. "Forgive me for my concern, annwyl, but you almost died today."

"I didn't—"

"Carter," Douxie slammed the chest shut, getting to his feet abruptly. "Please don't start with me. You and I both knowthat you did." He crossed the space between them, taking the knife from Carter's hand. "Listen to me," he gently tipped Carter's chin up, anxiety so clear-set in his eyes. "You can pretend all you want with everyone else that what happened didn't mess you up. You can pretend that just because you can't die, doesn't mean something wasn't taken from you today. You can pretend, just not with me." He gently stroked Carter's cheek with his thumb. "You don't want them to worry. My love, I understand. But they don't know you the way I do. You don't have to pretend that you're not scared when you're with me."

Carter wasn't entirely sure how to respond to that. After a long moment of just staring at his soulmate, he looked away and sucked in a shaking breath. Douxie's hand cupped his jaw and he leaned in, placing a gentle kiss to his temple. Carter closed his eyes, letting Douxie pull him into a hug.