Chapter 14

Aanya poked the tip of her sword in and out of the grass, glaring at the house across the street. She'd been there for the better part of an hour, waiting for something to happen. But nothing did.

The screen door opened and shut behind her. "You know it's no use sitting and waiting for a fight."

Aanya gave a smile as Barbara sat next to her. "I'm not really sure what else to do. I wish I'd stayed with them... but I could tell how anxious he was at the idea of leaving Arcadia by itself."

Barbara put an arm around her shoulders. "I'm glad you stayed. I think it makes everyone a little less nervous."

"Well," Aanya said, stretching her legs out and tapping her sword against the ground. "I'm glad I could ease your mind. Even if I'm just a junior Trollhunter."

Barbara laughed. "Well if you are, so are the rest of us." She squeezed her shoulder. "But you should give yourself more credit. You're part of the team, same as anyone else."

Aanya snorted. "I wish that were true."

"Isn't it?"

"I don't think I will be until I can get out from under my dad's thumb and move here like I've been wanting to," she admitted, lips pursed. "He's not too keen on the idea of college all the way in Cali."

"And... does he know?" Barbara asked.

"He keeps seeing stuff, but it never sticks." Aanya sighed. "I guess it's for the better. Half the people he employs are monsters and he doesn't even know it."

"Well, you're almost nineteen." Barbara told her. "It should be up to you, where you go."

"It should." She looked at the wood under her feet. "He doesn't see it that way. I think he wants me to take over the business."

She knew Barbara knew that was the last thing she wanted.

"Well," she said, patting the demigod's arm. "Let's go inside and get some dinner. It's always better to contemplate the future on a full stomach."

Aanya climbed to her feet after the doctor, following her inside. "I hope you're not cooking."

Barbara laughed. "No, Mr. Hensley is."

"Thank the gods," Aanya teased, shutting the door behind them. "But I think he'd prefer it if you called him Matthew. He's not a label-ish guy."

"I wouldn't assume he is, if he's anything like his daughter." Barbara said, letting her go through the kitchen first. "Speaking of, you better go get Laura. She needs to eat too."

"Yes ma'am," Aanya said with a smile, turning to go to the backyard.

***

"Sweet girls," Walt said as his wife helped him set the table. "It was very nice of them to volunteer to stay behind."

"It is." Barbara agreed. "Though, I think Aanya regrets it." She paused for a moment, brows knitting together.

Walt put a hand on her shoulder. "What is it, my dear?"

"They're at it again, saving the world." She said, looking up at him. "And we're left here to wait and stew in our worry." She shook her head, sighing. "I wish there was something I could do to help."

"I understand," he said, kissing her forehead. "I'm not sure how useful we can be, though."

"We'll think of something," Matthew Hensley said from the kitchen. He was a quiet man, large though he was. He reminded Barbara of Aarrrgghh in a lot of ways, soft-spoken and peaceful, but not without his own strengths. He seemed to be a loving father to Laura, which Barbara was very grateful for. In her experience, not many half-bloods seemed to come from homes that weren't broken ones. "Trust me when I say that being side-lined while your teenager does all the heavy-lifting never gets any easier."